Statement from the Pittsburgh Penguinsby Pittsburgh Penguins @penguins / Media Release
*The Pittsburgh Penguins have released an updated statement on the 2019.20 season. View it here.
The Pittsburgh Penguins are aware of the most recent guidance and recommendations from the Allegheny County Health Department. We have been in regular contact with the National Hockey League, the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, and various health authorities and have determined that, based upon the facts before us, our scheduled home games at PPG Paints Arena, including Sunday's game against the New York Islanders, will go on as scheduled in front of fans.
In response to growing awareness and concern over Coronavirus COVID-19, the Penguins and PPG Paints Arena have been implementing a number of elevated safety procedures for the game. Providing a safe environment for our fans, players and staff is our first priority.
Following recommendations from the CDC and the NHL league office, and in close consultation with our doctors and medical team at UPMC and other NHL teams, we have implemented the following safeguards at PPG Paints Arena:
- Sanitary gloves worn by food handlers, ticket takers, ushers and suite attendants
- Regular cleaning of escalator handrails, stairway railings, door handles and elevator buttons with disinfectant
- Regular cleaning and sanitizing of arena public areas and rest rooms
- Reconfiguration of common food-serving areas and services
- CDC advisory signs posted in rest rooms, advising fans of safety recommendations for washing hands, etc.
- Hand sanitizers placed around the arena
As a reminder, guests who are feeling sick, who have traveled to or have been in contact with travelers to high risk areas, or who have serious underlying health issues, such as respiratory or cardiac conditions, should not attend events at PPG Paints Arena until further notice.
This is an evolving situation, and we will remain in regular contact with health agencies, the NHL and other authorities for continued advice and direction. Any additional information that becomes available will be communicated to our fans and the general public.