Junior hockey leagues in the United States are now filled with players from Western Pennsylvania.
The USHL (United States Hockey League) the only Tier 1 Junior league in the US, is comprised of 16 teams and features 4 players from the Pittsburgh area. The NAHL (North American Hockey League) has 28 teams and features 14 players from Pittsburgh.
Both of these leagues are a pipeline to NCAA Division I hockey. Alexander Kuqali
(Pittsburgh, PA) plays for the Sioux City Musketeers of the USHL and has committed to the Rochester Institute of Technology. His teammate, Matt Skoff
(McKees Rocks) has committed to play for Coach Guy Gadowsky at the Pennsylvania State University.
From the NAHL, Mt. Lebanon native, Brooks Behling
(Mt. Lebanon, Pa), plays forward for the Amarillo Bulls and is currently ranked 3rd in the league in scoring with 63 points and has committed to play for the Providence College Friars.
Pittsburgh has become a funnel for both leagues and with the number of children now playing hockey in Pittsburgh, more and more players will make the transition from amateur to junior hockey. You can follow these local players at www.ushl.com
. Below is a complete list of players in both leagues that call Pittsburgh home. USHLDaniel Kucerovy
– Chicago SteelAlexander Kuqali
– Sioux City MusketeersMatt Skoff
– Sioux City Musketeers
– Aberdeen WingsBrooks Behling
– Amarillo BullsCody Boyd
– Bismark BobcatsSteve Perry
– Fairbanks Ice DogsNathan Ropelewski
– Fresno MonstersMichael Mazzotta
– Jamestown Ironmen Michael Zagari
– Jamestown Ironmen Bryan Watt
– Jamestown Ironmen Vincent Stefan
– Kenai River Brown BearsDominic Granato
– Kenai River Brown Bears James Kline
– Michigan WarriorsChris Murray
– Michigan Warriors Jayson Angus
– New Mexico Mustangs Alec Shields
– Wenatchee Wild