Pittsburgh Penguins players will wear special purple jerseys at their morning skate and pre-game warmup Thursday as the organization supports the NHL’s annual “Hockey Fights Cancer” initiative.
The Pens take on the New York Islanders Thursday at 7 p.m. at CONSOL Energy Center, and the players will be wearing their purple jerseys when they hit the ice for the pre-game warmup from 6:30-6:45 p.m. Each Pens player will sign his jersey following the warmup, and they will be auctioned at www.nhl.com
starting on Nov. 1.
Among other initiatives planned for Thursday’s game:
- There will be purple lights on the spine of CONSOL Energy Center (visible along Washington Place) and on the arena’s LED boards
- Each fan will receive a purple cancer awareness magnet as a giveaway
- The Penguins will host a number of special guests and young fans who are cancer patients and cancer survivors
- Penguins coaches, broadcasters and staff will be sporting purple “Hockey Fights Cancer” ties.
- Hockey Fights Cancer merchandise will be on sale at PensGear stores
- The American Cancer Society and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society will have information tables in the arena concourse.