GAME DAY REPORT
Celina Pompeani & Sam Kasan discuss the last game of 2014 as the Pens take on the Carolina Hurricanes tonight at CONSOL Energy Center. --Michelle Crechiolo
PENSTV INTERVIEWSBeau Bennett Craig Adams Bryan Rust --Michelle Crechiolo
THEY SAID IT
BEHIND ENEMY LINES
Goaltender Cam Ward will most likely start in net tonight for the 'Canes as he was the first goalie off the ice
Oh hey there Jiri Tlusty
No, no that's not basketball legend Michael Jordan, that's MICHAL Jordan (47)
Welcome back to Pittsburgh Jordan Staal!
Forward Riley Nash
Brent Bellemore is just one D-man tasked with shutting down the Penguins offense tonight--Joey Sykes
Head coach Mike Johnston had a few notes on the team's lineup for this evening...
- Coach will check with head athletic trainer Chris Stewart on if Ehrhoff, Bennett and Adams can play tonight.
- Steve Downie, who's missed the last five games with the mumps, will not play. He skated prior to practice and during the morning skate. "He’s close now, he’s cleared from the mumps," Johnston said. "For him, that’s a long time off the ice and he’s got to get back with the team on the ice. So I would expect a couple more days for 'Downs.'"
Thomas Greiss and Mike Bales scoop out some pucks before morning skate
Assistant coach Rick Tocchet doesn't seem to like his picture taken
Bortz practicing his stickhandling. He scored a goal in his last game vs the Carolina Hurricanes
Rookie D-man Derrick Pouliot has three points so far this season (1G,2A)
The Terminator Steve Downie hopes to be back tonight
Megnatron is upset they don't have his favorite flavor Gatorade on the bench
Brandon Sutter scans where his shot went
Defenseman Christian Ehrhoff also could return to the lineup tonight
Ironman Craig Adams--Joey Sykes
MORNING SKATE DEETS
Pens appear to be holding a highly optional skate. Players missing are Rob Scuderi, Nick Spaling, Chris Kunitz, Marcel Goc, Kris Letang, Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby.
Injured players participating are Christian Ehrhoff, Beau Bennett, Craig Adams and Steve Downie.
Head coach Mike Johnston is also absent. Assistants Rick Tocchet and Gary Agnew are running the skate. --Sam Kasan
DIGITAL PREVIEW--Sam Kasan
SCOUTING THE 'CANES
Elias Lindholm is the future, Jordan Staal returns and more info on the Canes. --Sam Kasan
START ME UP
Good morning hockey fans. Tonight the Pens host the Carolina Hurricanes for a New Year's Eve showdown at CONSOL Energy Center. The Pens look like they're finally getting healthy. Forwards Craig Adams and Beau Bennett and defenseman Christian Ehrhoff all practiced yesterday and could return tonight. Goaltender Thomas Greiss is back from his mumps bout and can play if called upon. We'll see what the guys and coach say following the morning skate. In the meantime, here are some game notes to get you ready...
- The Penguins finish the 2014 calendar year by hosting the Carolina Hurricanes (TV: ROOT SPORTS; Radio: 105.9 the X) at CONSOL Energy Center.
- Tonight the Penguins are looking to end a season-high four-game winless stretch (0-3-1).
- The Penguins are also hoping to avoid losing back-to-back home games for the first time all season.
- The Penguins are 6-2 in their last eight games against the Hurricanes here in Pittsburgh.
- Overall, the Penguins have won nine of their last 12 meetings against the Hurricanes.
Stick tap: Pens PR--Sam Kasan