VERIZON GAME DAY REPORT --Sam Kasan
WANT ZATKOFF'S MASK?
Goalie Jeff Zatkoff and the Penguins Foundation are auctioning off Zatkoff's Stadium Series lid where proceeds will benefit the Lupus Foundation. He's also auctioning off his stick. To place your bid click here.
(Getty Images)--Sam Kasan
CHECKING IN WITH MARTIN
After returning to team practice on Monday
, defenseman Paul Martin - who had been out of the lineup since suffering a broken hand at the Olympics in mid-February - said he felt better than he thought he would. And today, he said he felt even better than he did yesterday.
"I thought I’d be a little sore, but no issues," Martin said. "Had a bag skate earlier this morning and then now this one, so it feels pretty good."
Martin will miss his 18th straight game tonight, but said he's hoping to return in the Pens' next game on Thursday in Winnipeg. But if not, Martin said "hopefully for sure by the weekend." The Pens play Saturday in Martin's native Minnesota and Sunday in Colorado.--Michelle Crechiolo
PENS TV SOUNDJussi Jokinen Brandon Sutter --News team
QUOTE 'EM--News Team
MCILVAIN VISITS PENS
Wounded warrior Pat McIlvain visited the Pens morning skate today. Afterward he went into the locker room and met with the players and team. The Pens have hosted McIlvain before and here is his full back story
as a true American hero.
Fleury comes over to visit McIlvain
Crosby shaking hands with a hero--Sam Kasan & Addison Smith
No injury updates for the Pens. Marc-Andre Fleury starting in net. The rest of the team's lineup is a game-time decision.--Sam Kasan
Just a couple of USA hockey Olympians
Letang asks Martin about Megna's expression behind them
Is there something on my jersey?
Bennett looks ready to dominate...or maybe surf
Engelland: Say whaaat?
Neal takes our breath away. If you don't get the joke click here --Sam Kasan & Addison Smith
MORNING SKATE INFO
The Pens are on the ice for their morning skate. All healthy players are in attendance, as well as injured players Kris Letang (stroke), Paul Martin (hand) and Joe Vitale (mid-body).
PENS-CANES PREVIEW--Sam Kasan
'CANES SCOUTING REPORT --Sam Kasan
START THE DAY
Good morning hockey fans! Tonight the Pens will host the Carolina Hurricanes at CONSOL Energy Center. Here are some game notes to get your ready for the game...
- The Penguins complete the season series against the Carolina Hurricanes (TV: ROOT SPORTS; Radio: 105.9 the X) at CONSOL Energy Center.
- Pittsburgh is looking to wrap up a season sweep of the Hurricanes for the first time since going 6-0 against them in 1997-98.
- The Penguins have a five-game overall winning streak against the Hurricanes and a six-game winning streak here in Pittsburgh.
- During their six-game home win streak against the Hurricanes, the Penguins have outscored Carolina by a 25-14 margin.
- The Penguins have won 11 of the last 14 meetings with the Hurricanes.
- Following tonight’s game, the Penguins will embark on their final road trip of the year, a three-game trek through Winnipeg, Minnesota and Colorado. After that, they conclude the season with three consecutive home games versus Detroit, Philadelphia and Ottawa.
- Penguins F Beau Bennett has points in both games (1G-1A) since his return from a 50-game absence due to a wrist injury.
- Robert Bortuzzo led all Penguins defensemen in March with five assists in 13 games played.
Stick tap: Pens PR
We'll kick off the day with the song "Hurricane" by Ms Mr. Meesh is currently obsessed with this group. She highly approves of my selection.
Enjoy. --Sam Kasan