SABRES PICS--Sam Kasan & Joey Sykes
PENSTV SOUNDChristian Ehrhoff Sidney Crosby --Sam Kasan
QUOTE 'EM--Sam Kasan
FLEURY STARTING IN GOAL
"Because of the shutout and I thought Fleury looked really good, in the zone, we're going to go with him tonight," head coach Mike Johnston. --Sam Kasan
Stealth--Sam Kasan & Joey Sykes
MORNING SKATE INFO
Full attendance at the Pens morning skate. No changes in the lineup as the team use the same workflow. Why change what's been working, am I right?
ULTIMATE HIGHLIGHT --Sam Kasan
MALKIN'S FAST START
Michelle Crechiolo talked to center Evgeni Malkin about his season-opening nine-game point streak, all despite missing the entire preseason and training camp.
The Penguins center has quietly, if you can use that word to describe a player as talented as Malkin, been the most consistent player not just in Pittsburgh, but in the entire NHL. He’s recorded at least a point in all nine games the Pens have played so far this year (4G-8A-12P).
His streak is tied for the longest active point streak in the NHL with Columbus’ Ryan Johansen. It’s Malkin’s longest streak to open a season since his rookie year back in 2006-07, where he had goals in the first six games.
“I just do my job,” Malkin said, a sentiment he kept repeating. “We have a great line with (Pascal Dupuis) and (Blake) Comeau. We try to use each other. A good power play, too. Most (of my) points are on the power play, but still a couple chances 5-on-5. Hit the post today. … I love to help the team to win.”Full story here. --Sam Kasan
DIGITAL PREVIEW--Sam Kasan
SCOUTING THE SABRES --Sam Kasan
START ME UP
Good morning hockey fans. Tonight the Pens will host the Buffalo Sabres at CONSOL Energy Center. The Pens are looking to extend their winning streak to four games. The Sabres are coming off a tough overtime loss to the Boston Bruins. Here are some game notes to get you ready for the action...
- The Penguins conclude their three-game homestand against the Buffalo Sabres (TV: ROOT SPORTS; Radio: 105.9 the X) at CONSOL Energy Center.
- Following tonight’s game, the Penguins will play their next five games on the road beginning Tuesday night in Minnesota and concluding Friday, Nov. 14 at Toronto. This is Pittsburgh’s longest stretch of consecutive road games this season.
- Last year the Penguins swept the season series against the Sabres, 3-0, outscoring Buffalo by a 12-2 margin.
- Sidney Crosby was the leading scorer in the series against Buffalo last year with five points (2G-3A). Craig Adams was the second- leading scorer with four points (1G-3A).
- Marc-Andre Fleury was 3-0 with a 0.67 goals-against average and .971 save percentage last year against the Sabres. He pitched a 24-save shutout on Feb. 27 in a 3-0 win at CONSOL Energy Center.
- Two of Pittsburgh’s three wins against the Sabres last year came at CONSOL Energy Center. The Penguins have defeated the Sabres in seven of the last 10 games played in Pittsburgh.
(Stick tap: Pens PR)
Today is a cause for celebration. It is Michelle Crechiolo's birthday. And by her request, we'll start the day with Katy Perry's "Birthday." Happy birthday Meesh. --Sam Kasan