The Pittsburgh Penguins will honor military heroes on Thursday, November 10 at PPG Paints Arena, before and during their 7 p.m. game against the Minnesota Wild (one day before Veterans Day).
The tributes will start Thursday morning, when 12 post-9/11 veterans will attend the morning skate and have lunch in Suite 66. Each of the 12 veterans will receive a personalized Penguins jersey from a player following the skate. Among the groups participating will be the Veterans Leadership Program of Western Pennsylvania, Team Red White and Blue, The Mission Continues, the Global War on Terror Memorial Foundation and PA Serves.
At the game Thursday night, the Penguins will reserve one empty seat as a "Seat of Honor" in memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom, as well as those who continue to serve our country away from home. The seat will be located in Section 116, Row X, Seat 11.
Penguins players will wear special camouflage jerseys in the pre-game warmup, and the Penguins Foundation will then auction the jerseys to benefit the Veterans Leadership Program of Western Pennsylvania. The online auction will open Thursday night and continue through November 21 at www.pittsburghpenguins.com.
Many other initiatives to honor our military heroes are also planned for Thursday night:
- A Veterans Day-themed opening video will be used in place of the traditional pre-game video.
- Vietnam Veterans Incorporated of Pittsburgh will present the colors, and the national anthem will be performed by The Brass Roots.
- World War II Jeeps will be parked outside the Peoples, Trib Total Media and Verizon Gates prior to the game.
- Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum will present a special exhibit in the Highmark Wall of Champions hallway (behind section 112) that pays tribute to post-9/11 veterans. Each branch of service will be honored with a special uniform display. There also will be a video featuring names, photos and hometowns of more than 300 Pennsylvania veterans who gave their lives fighting the war on terrorism.
- The Penguins will host Defending the Blue Line (United Heroes League) in the Sidney Crosby charity suite, the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) in the Evgeni Malkin charity suite, and the groups that attended the morning skate in a Jim Beam Party Suite.
- Fans are encouraged to use #PensThanks leading up to and during Thursday night's game to honor a hero. Share a photo with an active-duty, reserve, veteran or retired service member to show your appreciation for all their sacrifices for our freedom!
- As a reminder, the Penguins are proud to offer discounted tickets to active-duty, reserve, veteran and retired service members and first responders in partnership with GovX.com. Simply visit www.pittsburghpenguins.com/militarytickets to learn more and view a list of eligible games.