Pittsburgh Penguins players will wear commemorative camouflage jerseys in the pre-game warmup Tuesday as part of the team's annual Veterans Day celebration at PPG Paints Arena. The Pens take on the Buffalo Sabres at 7 p.m.
The jerseys will be autographed by the players after the game and auctioned online, with proceeds benefitting the Veterans Leadership Program of Western Pennsylvania. The auction will run from November 14 through November 27 at www.pittsburghpenguinsfoundation.org
Among the team's other initiatives to honor our military veterans on Tuesday:
- The Penguins will host 15 veterans during the morning skate, representing various local organizations as selected by the Veterans Leadership Program. Penguins players will present personalized jerseys to those 15 veterans, followed by a group photo in the locker room.
- Fans are encouraged to visit the Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum exhibit that will be located in the Highmark Wall of Champions hallway (behind Section 112) on game night. The display will be a timeline that will include uniforms, medals and artifacts from the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korean Conflict, Vietnam, the Cold War and post 9-11 veterans.
- The Penguins will hold a symbolic empty "Seat of Honor" in memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom and those who continue to serve our country away from home. The seat will be located in Section 116, Row X, Seat 11.
- There will be a special Veterans Day-themed opening video prior to the traditional video pre-game presentation. The United States Air Force will present the colors, and the national anthem will be performed by USAF Technical Sergeant Keisha Gwin.
- Members of the Penguins Ice Crew will wear "Rags of Honor" apparel during the game. The Chicago-based "Rags of Honor" organization provides employment and services to homeless veterans. A portion of the proceeds from "Rags of Honor" merchandise sold Tuesday night at PensGear will benefit the Veterans Leadership Program of Western Pennsylvania and their housing assistance program for local veterans.
- Fans are encouraged to use #PensThanks leading up to and during Tuesday's game to honor a hero. Share a photo with an active-duty, reserved, veteran or retired service member to show your appreciation for all of their sacrifices for our freedom.
- As a reminder, the Penguins are proud to offer discounted tickets to active-duty, reserved, veteran, and retired service members and first responders in partnership with GovX.com. Please visit www.pittsburghpenguins.com/militarytickets or call 1.800.642.PENS to learn more.