Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Pittsburgh Penguins

Historical Headlines: Pens whip Seals 3-2, Win Series

by Jimmy Jordan / Post-Gazette Sports Writer

This story was originally written by Post-Gazette Sports Writer Jimmy Jordan and was published on April 12, 1970.

Oakland, California, April 12th

A goal by rookie Michel Briere from the left of the net at 8:28 of sudden-death overtime play brought the Penguins a 3-2 victory and their quarter-final Stanley Cup Playoff series with the Oakland Seals here tonight.

Jean Provonost had grabbed the puck from an Oakland defender off to the side of the net and passed it to Val Fonteyne.

The veteran left wing pulled Goalie Gary Smith to one side, and then slipped the disc to Michel, who drove it into the net from a sharp angle.

The game was delayed by 18 minutes by power failure.

Oakland came storming out and Vadnais drove home his first goal of the series from about 50 feet directly in front of Brinkley. The goal finished off a power play and came after a flurry of shots which had keep Brinkley pretty busy.

Bryan Watson was serving an interference penalty at the time.

The Penguins drew even just five minutes later when Prentice scored his first goal of the playoffs making the score 1-1. Gary Smith stopped a drive by Jim Morrison, and fell to the ice. Prentice punched the puck passed him.

The teams exchanged goals again early in the second period, with the Seals scoring on the power play.

Vadnais, who had marked up but one assist in the previous three games, scored his second goal of the game while Dean Prentice was in the pokey serving time on a some-what debatable hooking charge. He triggered a short shot from directly in front of the net after breaking loose near center ice with a pass from Bill Hicke.

Less than two minutes later, Michel Briere wrestled the puck away from two Seals along the boards and passed it out to Woytowich who blasted a slap shot from just inside the blue line that alluded Smith. 

View More