Sergei Gonchar, the soft spoken Penguins assistant coach continues to make a significant impact on the organization. His professional relationship and friendship with fellow countryman Evgeni Malkin is still going strong. In this podcast, the former defenseman talks about the days when Geno lived in Gonchar's home.
Some other highlights include:
- Reflections of his formative years growing up in Chelyabinsk, in the Soviet Union
- His first season with Penguins after he signed a five year contract in 2005
- How he met his wife Ksenia
- The thrill of winning the Stanley Cup in 2009 after overcoming two serious injuries
- And his method of conveying the subtleties that made him one of the finest Russian defenseman in NHL history
All episodes of A Great Day for Hockey Talk are available on SoundCloud, iTunes, and Google Play.
For more information on Penguins Podcasts, visit our podcast page.