* Pittsburgh's magic number to clinch a 13th-straight playoff berth is two. They can earn a spot tonight if:
They defeat Detroit in any fashion.
If they get one point against Detroit and either of the following occurs: Montreal loses to Tampa Bay in any fashion and Carolina loses to Toronto in regulation.
Montreal loses to Tampa Bay in any fashion.
* The Penguins earned points in 13 of their 16 games during the month of March, posting a record of 10-3-3.
* This is the first game of a home-and-home series between the teams. Detroit will visit PPG Paints Arena on Thursday.
* Penguins head coach Mike Sullivan said that defenseman Brian Dumoulin is day-to-day with a lower-body injury and he will not play tonight.
* Matt Murray will get his 9th straight start tonight, which would equal his career-long stretch previously recorded Feb. 23-March 12. Jimmy Howard will be in goal for Detroit.
* Matt Cullen will skate in his 1,514th career game tonight, tying Red Wings legend Steve Yzerman for 19th place all-time.
* Nick Bjugstad enters this contest with Pittsburgh's only active point streak at 3 games (2G-1A). He has 13 points (8G-5A) in 29 games as a Penguin. He has 4 points (1G-3A) in his last 4 games against the Red Wings.
* Sidney Crosby has points in 10 of his last 11 games against Detroit, collecting 13 points (5G-8A). He paces the Penguins with 94 points.
* Dylan Larkin, who is Detroit's leading scorer with 70 points (32G-38A), enters tonight on a 4-game goal streak. He has scored 5 times over that span. His line with Tyler Bertuzzi and Anthony Mantha has been red-hot and will be one to watch.
* Bertuzzi currently has a 4-game point streak (3G-7A-10PTS) and was named the NHL's 2nd Star of the Week. Meanwhile, Mantha has a 5-game point streak (5G-7A-12PTS) and has logged 3-straight 3-point games.
* Andreas Athanasiou has 4 multi-point games in his last 8 contests, posting 10 points (6G-4A) over that span. He recently joined Larkin as Detroit's 2nd 30-goal scorer this season after not having a player reach that milestone since 2008-09.
* The Red Wings have won 5 in a row and 7 of their last 8 games.
PIT - Zach Aston-Reese (lower-body), Kris Letang (upper-body), Evgeni Malkin (upper-body), Chad Ruhwedel (upper-body).
DET - Mike Green (virus), Trevor Daley (back), Jonathan Ericsson (lower-body), Michael Rasmussen (upper-body), Thomas Vanek (mid-body), Jacob de la Rose (heart rate), Justin Abdelkader (foot), Frans Nielsen (upper-body), Luke Glendening (lower-body), Jonathan Bernier (upper-body).