The Pens begin their post-All-Star break portion of the schedule with a rematch of the 2016 Stanley Cup Final. Tonight's game is presented by RMU.
MATCH: Penguins vs. Sharks
TIME: 7 p.m. EST
PLACE: PPG Paints Arena
TV: AT&T SportsNet
RADIO: 105.9 FM, the X
1. The Pens entered the All-Star break on a 7-2 run that has them tied with Columbus for 2nd place in the Metro Division. San Jose entered the All-Star break on a 5-2-1 run and sit in 2nd place in the Pacific Division. The Sharks recorded a 2-1 win against Pittsburgh 10 days ago in California.
2. Pens captain Sidney Crosby scored a goal and 2 points in his lone game of All-Star weekend. Since Jan. 1, Crosby leads the entire NHL in scoring with 20 points (3G-17A). His linemate, rookie Dominik Simon, has 3 goals in his last 2 games.
3. Goalie Matt Murray will return to the net after missing the past 7 games while dealing with the tragic passing of his father.
4. The Sharks are dealing with an injury bug. Joe Thornton underwent surgery for a right MCL issue after being hurt Jan. 23 against Winnipeg. Goalie Martin Jones missed the past 4 games with a lower-body injury, but is available tonight.
5. Speaking of NHL leaders since Jan 1, San Jose's Brent Burns ranks 4th (tied with Evgeni Malkin and Phil Kessel) with 16 points (1G-15A) and 2nd with 15 assists.
PIT - Matt Hunwick (upper-body), Chad Ruhwedel (upper-body), Carter Rowney (upper-body).
SJS - Martin Jones (lower-body), Joe Thornton (right MCL).
* The Pens held an optional skate. Missing were Justin Schultz, Brian Dumoulin, Riley Sheahan, Kris Letang, Karl Hagelin, Phil Kessel and Sidney Crosby.