Monday, February 11, 2019
Wells Fargo Center
AT&T SportsNet, NBCSN
105.9 FM, the X
* This is the second of four meetings between the cross-state rivals. The Flyers defeated the Pens by a score of 4-2 on Dec. 1 at PPG Paints Arena.
* A lot has happened with the Flyers since that night. Chuck Fletcher took over for Ron Hextall as general manager, while Scott Gordon is currently the interim head coach after Dave Hakstol was relieved of his duties.
* The Flyers have responded well to the changes, as they are currently the league's hottest team and enter tonight on a 10-game unbeaten streak (9-0-1). They are sixth in the Metro Division and six points behind the Pens, who have a 1-point lead on Carolina for the second Wild Card spot.
* This will be the Pens' first look at Carter Hart, who became the 2nd-youngest goalie in Flyers history to appear in a game when he made his NHL debut at 20 years, 27 days on Dec. 18. The Flyers' 2016 2nd-round draft pick was named the NHL's Rookie of the Month for January.
* Hart has the opportunity to set a new NHL record for consecutive games won by a netminder before his 21st birthday. He currently has an eight-game winning streak, which is tied with Jocelyn Thibault for the current mark.
* This contest will complete the Pens' three-game road trip. They are looking to get back on track after going winless in their last four games (0-3-1).
* With the opening goal in the last game against the Flyers, Sidney Crosby has a five-game point streak against Philadelphia, totaling 10 points (3G-7A).
* Including regular season and playoffs, Jake Guentzel has 22 points (8G-14A) in 13 career games against Philadelphia. This includes a current five-game point streak totaling 10 points (5G-5A).
* Jared McCann enters tonight with goals in back-to-back games, while Sean Couturier has scored in four straight.
* The Pens had full attendance at their morning skate after a travel day on Sunday. After wearing no-contact jerseys in their first two team practices on Friday and Saturday, Evgeni Malkin and Zach-Aston Reese progressed to full contact today. Malkin, who has missed the last five games, is "probable" for tonight while Aston-Reese and Justin Schultz will not play.
* Matt Murray will start in goal for Pittsburgh.
PIT - Zach Aston-Reese (upper-body), Evgeni Malkin (upper-body), Justin Schultz (left leg fracture).
PHI - Brian Elliott (lower-body), Michal Neuvirth (undisclosed).