Good morning and welcome to the latest edition of Rats Roundup!
Denis Potvin announced his retirement, Randy Moller was named the Panthers color analyst, Coach Q talked Panthers hockey with the NHL Network, and so much more! Sit back, relax and catch up on all the latest Panthers news!
Ekblad Stops By the Summer Reading Tour
Panthers Defenseman Aaron Ekblad stopped by the Lauderdale Lakes Library to share the afternoon with the community. Ekblad read a story, talked hockey, his favorite color, and how important reading is to him. He signed autographs and took pictures with fans at the library.
"I was very excited to get to do this again. It's always nice to come out and do something like this. I remember as a kid being excited for things like this, no matter who it was that came out. Whether it was a hockey player or a doctor coming to read to you, it was always fun. It's always cool to learn, especially when you're a young kid," he said.
For more on Ekblad's visit, click HERE.
There are only two stops left on this year's Summer Reading Tour! Join us for stories and fun at North Regional/Broward College Library on Saturday, August 3rd from 1-4pm. Can't make it? You're in luck - we have one more on the calendar! Meet us at the Young At Art Library on Wednesday, August 7th from 2-5 pm for games, panthers swag, and more!
For more information, visit FloridaPanthers.com/ReadingTour.
Hanging Up the Headset
Denis Potvin announced his retirement from television broadcasting this week. Denis "Denny" Potvin, 65, was a member of the Panthers inaugural broadcast team in 1993-94 and spent 21 seasons as the Panthers Television Color Analyst. Potvin got his start in broadcasting with Sports Channel NY in 1989 and has many memorable moments in the booth. Throughout his career he has broadcasted NHL regular season games and Stanley Cup Playoff games in both French and English, with The Sunshine Network, Sports Channel Florida, ESPN and FOX Sports Florida, as well as Sportsnet and Radio Canada where he broadcast the 2004 Olympics in Torino Italy.
For more on Potvin's incredible career, click HERE.
In response to Denny's announcement, Panthers hockey analyst Randy "Red Deer" Moller penned a glowing Thank You note on FloridaPanthers.com. "Although we will all miss his candid and precise description of Panthers hockey broadcasts, it's comforting to know his presence at Panthers home games and in the community in his new role as an ambassador of the organization will keep his legacy alive. When Lord Stanley's Cup is eventually presented to a Panthers captain, we know another legendary captain will gladly be there to share in the hoist and celebration," Moller wrote.
For more on Randy's touching Thank You, click HERE.
Red Deer Jumps from Between the Benches to the Broadcast Booth
As of Tuesday, Randy Moller will be Television Color Analyst for the 2019-20 season. Moller, who has served as the Panthers television analyst between the benches the last four seasons, will join longtime Television Play-by-Play Announcer Steve "Goldie" Goldstein in the broadcast booth for the upcoming season.
For more on Moller's new role, click HERE.
Listen in as Jessica Blaylock of Fox Sports Florida joins this week's episode to talk about the Panthers' offseason moves and acquisitions. Then, NHL.com Senior Writer Dan Rosen weighs in on the Cats' upcoming season, predicted key difference makers, and getting back to the playoffs.
- From Weddings to Workouts, Ekblad's Offseason is Ramping Up! Read more about what Ekky is up to before the season starts!
- We all know that Bobrovsky is more than just No. 72. "By The Numbers" breaks it down.
- Coach Q called in to the NHL Network to talk about hockey in South Florida and the excitement surrounding the upcoming season. Click HEREto see what else he had to say!
- Denis Potvin had a lot of really cool moments in the booth over his broadcasting career! Check out some of the top moments HERE!
- Panthers 2019 first-round pick Spencer Knight and Team USA went lights out against Sweden at the 2019 World Junior Summer Showcase.
- Have you ever wondered what the view was like from the penalty box? Enter the Two Minute Minor Contest to find out! Find out more details HERE.
- The 2019-20 season is right around the corner! Secure your tickets now at Floridapanthers.com/tickets.
- Check out this week's wallpapers!