FLA - B. Boyes (3), K. Versteeg (1), PPG - J. Huberdeau (2), PPG - A. Barkov (2), T. Fleischmann (1), PPG - B. Boyes (4)
| ||1 ||2 ||3 ||OT ||T |
|Panthers ||2 ||2 ||2 ||0 ||6 |
|Penguins ||2 ||1 ||0 ||0 ||3 |
PIT - E. Malkin (1), C. Adams (3), P. Dupuis (1)
| || |
| || || |
SUNRISE, FL — (NHL.com) - On a night when they celebrated their past, the Florida Panthers' future played a major role in winning their home opener.
Youngsters Jonathan Huberdeau and Aleksander Barkov scored power-play goals 1:06 apart in the second period to break a 2-2 tie and help the Panthers snap a three-game losing streak with a 6-3 victory against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Friday night. FULL RECAP
| || "Right now I'm definitely feeling good. It's about opportunities and when you get them, capitalize on them. That's something when things go well and you're scoring the goals like I was in years past, you're getting those bounces and pucks are finding you. It's been good that it's been happening so far." |
- Forward Brad Boyes.
| 1. A Home Start: Finally kicking off the home slate of the season, the Panthers unveiled a lot on Friday night. South Florida fans got their first chance to see rookie Aleksander Barkov and the newly signed veterans live and in person. And then there was the unveiling of the brand new state-of-the art scoreboard. A celebration of the 20th Year anniversary, the Panthers gave their fans a great start, scoring twice in the first 9:10 of the game. It started less than two minutes in when Brad Boyes scored off the feed from Tomas Fleischmann, scoring on a wrist shot 1:55 into the game. Pittsburgh tied the game off an Evgeni Malkin shot but Kris Versteeg reclaimed the Panthers lead less than five minutes later. |
2. Answering The Penguins Answers: Like the night before where Tampa Bay had an answer every time Florida scored, the Panthers turned the table on the Penguins and had an answer for the visitors. Craig Adams tied the game before the first period was over but the Panthers answered once again, thanks to the power play. Getting their first power play goal of the season the previous night, the Cats struck for two on the man advantage 1:06 apart. First it was Jonathan Huberdeau batting in a Versteeg shot off the rebound 7:08 into the second on a 5-on-3 advantage. Then Barkov scored his second of the season, scoring off Paul Martin's leg from the goal line.
3. Opening Night Win: Pittsburgh made it a 4-3 game when Pascal Dupuis scored on a drop pass from Sidney Crosby with 12:13 gone in the second period, causing for some tense moments but Jacob Markstrom shut the door the rest of the way coming up with some great saves to keep the Pens from tying the game and the Cats sent the home fans home with a victory as they added two more goals in the third. Fleischmann followed up on his own rebound on the rush 6:27 into the third and then Barkov sent a pretty cross-crease pass to Boyes for his second of the night with 34 seconds remaining.
| || || |
Memorable twitter posts from the game.
@BlueLiner55: I just got home and I feel so happy. Thank you @FlaPanthers for a great home opener. :-)
@AbsolutTwilight: Thanks for the great memories @FlaPanthers I can’t believe we it’s been 20 years. Thanks for having Rob and Brian on hand tonight!
@KatieeCooook: The @FlaPanthers made my night
@darthyvbc10: Best game yet! :D @FlaPanthers
@meadowsm: @FlaPanthers win!!!! Big 6-3 W over the Penguins. Great game by Boyes and Fleisch #Flapanthers #NHL instagram.com/p/fWh59MCMyF/
| || |
Memorable fan posts from the game.
Mike Olmeda: Way to win! And with Markstrom in net!
Patrick Tague: THIS is the team i hope we see the rest of the year.
Gregory Cordero: Great win!! let's keep it rolling Panthers!
Glenn Hunt II: Great job Cats on your home opener. Keep up the hard work! #WeSeeRed
Tino Perez: Great win and a good way to bounce back lets keep this up
2. The Panthers power play was clicking Friday night as they went 2-4 on the man advantage.
3. Signed just before the season, Brad Boyes was expected to add offense to the front end. The former 43-goal scorer has done that early, scoring in his third straight game. Boyes got the scoring started 1:55 into the game.
10. What a night for the trio of Tomas Fleischmann, Aleksander Barkov and Brad Boyes. The line combined for 10 points with Fleischmann picking up four points (1-3-4), and Barkov adding three (1-2-3) and Boyes netting three points (2-1-3).
64. While the night finished out well for the hosts, the Panthers didn't fare well in the face-off circle as the Pens won 64% of the draws. Only Shawn Matthias (5-of-9) finished with a winning face-off percentage of Panthers that took more than one shot.
66. It took Florida four games to score their first power play goal of the season. They tripled that amount with two goals in 66 seconds in the second period as Jonathan Huberdeau and Barkov netted their second of the season.
| || || |
A lot of good choices to choose from but Tomas Fleischmann had a hand in four of the Panthers goals, helping set up three and scoring the fifth of the night.
|Tomas Fleischmann |
1 Goal, 3 Assists, 4 Points, 6 Shots, 19:15 TOI
| || |
| The Panthers get the day off before getting back at it in a Sunday matinee against the Los Angeles Kings. Los Angeles is two years removed from hoisting the Stanley Cup and returned to the Western Conference finals last summer before falling to Chicago. Los Angeles won 2-1 on Friday night in Carolina as Jeff Carter scored the game-winner in the shootout. |