"We were able to play with the lead and that's a big confidence booster. I think all four lines were great. It was a big effort from everyone."
- Panthers forward Scottie Upshall
1. Quick Strike Bees: Get to your seat late at the BB&T Center and you would have already missed the first goal of the game. It all came courtesy of the Killer B line. Sean Bergenheim put on the pressure and forced a turnover as Brad Boyes picked off the clearing pass and then went in on a 2-on-1 break with Aleksander Barkov. The Flying Finn finished off the play after some sweet moves 32 seconds into the game.
2. Four Score: That was just the start of it as the Cats jumped out to a 4-0 lead, including a three-goal outburst in the opening 20 minutes. Drew Shore netted his first of the season off a defenseman's skate with less than five to play and then young gun Nick Bjugstad scored with less than a minute to play as the big center scored on the rush. They added to it thanks to Scottie Upshall's shorthanded marker in the second period..
3. Timmy Saves: The Islanders would make it a game as Colin McDonald scored late in the second and Thomas Vanek scored early in the third but the Cats held on thanks to a the stellar play of Tim Thomas once again. Both goals were from in close that very few goalies could have stopped. Finishing with 31 saves, his best save of the night might have come late in the first robbing Ryan Strome from in close with a diving glove save, one for the highlight reels late in the first with the Cats up a goal. For Timmy, it was the eighth time in the last nine games that he allowed two goals or less.
Memorable twitter posts from the game.
@KyleSwain32: That's a @FlaPanthers win. Great win keep it up on to Thursday against the sharks
@failingglights: Love watching the @FlaPanthers win! What a game!
@alexpina16: @FlaPanthers Solid team win tonight. I want wildcard hockey. #REDRising #ComebackCats
Memorable fan posts from the game.
Jeff Main: Had me at the edge of my seat the final 2 minutes! AWESOME PANTHERS!!!
Erin Collier: Great game!! Way to go Cats!!
Alejandro Hernandez: GOOD GAME BOYS. ISLANDERS SEE YA!!!!!!!
2. Florida scored their second shorthanded goal of the season as Scottie Upshall gave the Cats a 4-0 lead in the second period.
3. The Panthers struck for three goals in the first period. It was the most since netting three in the third period of the season opener in Dallas (Oct. 3).only 13 points behind the NHL leading Anaheim Ducks.
32. Florida got on the board early thanks to the Killer B's. Aleksander Barkov scored 32 seconds into the game, the quickest goal of the season. It bested the home opener of 1:55 against Pittsburgh on Oct. 11.
100. Picking up the assist on Upshall's goal, Brian Campbell recorded the 100th point of his Panthers career.
2011. Captain Ed Jovanovski led the way with two assists. It was his first multi-point/multi-assist game since Dec. 18, 2011 against Carolina.
Made two beautiful plays in setting up Nick Bjugstad on the eventual game-winner and then scoring the fourth goal on a shorthanded breakaway.
Florida finishes off their quick two-game home stand on Thursday night when they host the Western Conference's San Jose Sharks. The Sharks sit second in the Pacific with 64 points only 11 points behind the NHL leading Anaheim Ducks. They're led offensively by their captain Big Joe Thornton who has 50 points in 46 games. Antti Niemi meanwhile has a sterling 2.39 GAA with a 23-10-6 record.