FLA - NONE
| ||1 ||2 ||3 ||OT ||T |
|Panthers ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
|Jets ||2 ||0 ||5 ||0 ||7 |
WPG - E. Kane (25), J. Slater (9), M. Stuart (4), B. Little (19), PP - N. Antropov (10), E. Kane (26), B. Wheeler (14)
| || |
| || || |
| WINNIPEG (AP) - Evander Kane scored twice and added two assists as the Winnipeg Jets routed the Florida Panthers 7-0 on Thursday night. |
Ondrej Pavelec made 33 saves to earn the shutout for Winnipeg, which moved within two points of first-place Florida in the Southeast Division. Kyle Wellwood and Blake Wheeler both had a goal and an assist. Jim Slater, Bryan Little and Nik Antropov also scored.
| || "We had lots of turnovers and they ended up in our net and you can't play that kind of hockey in October and you certainly play it in March. It's definitely a man's game this time of year and we did not look prepared." |
- Head coach Kevin Dineen.
| 1. Falling Behind Early: For the fourth straight game the Panthers were involved in a 2-0 game (third time that the 2-0 lead was early in the first period). Unfortunately like in their games against Carolina and Montreal and unlike Toronto, they were on the short end of the 2-0 lead. Playing a desperate Winnipeg team who was in search for a quick start as they hoped to get closer to Florida in the standings for the division race, the Jets converted on a turnover 4:01 into the period. Evander Kane stole the puck from Keaton Ellerby and beat Jose Theodore with the shot. A little over two minutes later (2:02 to be exact) the Jets struck again as Jim Slater deposited the puck into the wide open net after a collision left Theodore out of position. |
2. Running Into A Brick Wall: Trailing by two, the Panthers did have their chances in the opening two periods to get on the board and attempt a comeback, just like against Carolina and Montreal. While in the previous two games, they were able to score on their chances, Florida was unable to solve Ondrej Pavelec despite putting up 24 shots (17 alone in the second period). Pavelec had to come up with some big saves, especially off of nice moves by both Wojtek Wolski and Sean Bergenheim as they made individual efforts to only be denied by the Jets netminder.
3. Big Jets Third Ends Win Streak, Tightens Southeast: Unable to solve Pavelec through the first two periods, Florida was still only down just two goals. Not a totally insurmountable. The Jets would score twice in the opening 4:35 off goals from Kyle Wellwood and Bryan Little to chase Theodore and then really poured it on with goals 12 seconds apart from Nik Antropov (power play) and Kane to make it a 6-0 game. Blake Wheeler made it a 7-0 game with 2:02 left to play in the contest. For the fourth time this season, the Panthers were looking to extend their win streak to four games and for the fourth time, the streak was snapped. The victory for the Jets helps them leapfrog Washington into second place and brings them to within two points of the Panthers for the division lead (72-70) although Florida does still have three games in hand.
| || || |
Memorable twitter posts from the game.
@JacobwBynum: Wow #FlaPanthers get destroyed in Winnipeg #Jets had to win & do handedly #FirstPlaceCats still with 3 games at hand vs #Jets #WeBelieveRed
@parrothead34: Here are all the positives to come out of tonight's #FlaPanthers game: 1) It's over 2) Guddy took the next step 3) It's over
@tcalvino: Wow love my #FlaPanthers but this is just painful =( Put this behind you boys and play fresh Sat! #playoffpush #believeRed
@ShaunKern: Hopefully the #FlaPanthers have gotten whatever it is out of their system for the playoff run. 7-0 #Jets Ugh...
@bigge3021: What a major letdown by @FlaPanthers tonight. Saturday couldn't get here any faster to move on and forget this loss.
| || |
Memorable fan posts from the game.
Dara Ross: the only bright spot of this game is that the more we see gudbranson the more I think we all start to see that he is just going to be so awesome for a long time for the cats
Amy Riley: Painful.....jets deserve that win. Now pick it up at home guys
John D. Dechert: Its amazing how so many fans get all upset over a loss, one day you are all about the team and the next you jump off as fast as you got on. We dont want fair weather fans, ur either in it or not, and I believe in RED!!!!
Joe Fiore: Don't let this game blow your morale. You worked hard, so build back the momentum and don't let the Predators get to you too.
Daniel Landon Chiarelli: The Panthers once again struggle to make it 4 straight and struggle to rebound off a chance to extend the division lead. The Panthers will make the playoffs this year. But games like this do not resemble that message. Falling asleep after 2 periods and giving 5 goals, is not a way to soar through the end of the season. Just really disappointed in this lack-luster effort. But I Still Love The Panthers.
2. Both Evander Kane and Jim Slater scored in the first period, giving the Jets a 2-0 lead. It's the third time in the last four games that the Panthers gave up at least the first two goals of the game. The other time (the Leafs), they tallied the first two goals of the game in the first.
4. A fourth straight win is still elusive for the Panthers this season. Having won their last three straight, Florida was looking for their first four-game win streak since 2008. The Panthers have won three straight on four different occasions this season.
5/6/7. Looking at the final score of 7-0, the seven goals was the second most goals given up in a game. That was in large part to the five goals in the third period which was the most goals allowed in a single period. On the flip side, the Panthers couldn't find the scoreboard for the sixth time this season. They were shut out twice in the month of February.
12. Have to feal bad for Scott Clemmensen. Was in the game for less than four minutes (replacing Jose Theodore in the third) and the Jets recorded two goals in just 12 seconds as Nik Antropov (8:06 on the power play) and Kane (8:18) scored on consecutive shifts.
30. It didn't take long for the whistle to blow and the game's first penalty was called. Tomas Fleischmann was sent to the box for hooking just 30 seconds into the game.
| || || |
Kane finished with four points (including the game-winner early in the game) but Pavelec kept the Panthers at bay all night, especially in the second when he saw 17 shots.
|Ondrej Pavelec |
33 Shots, 33 Saves 1.000 SV%
| || |
| Florida returns home for back-to-back games over the weekend against Nashville and Ottawa. First up on Saturday is the Western Conference Predators who have put together a great season to date in a tough Central Division. Nashville is third in the Central yet fifth in the West with 81 points in 64 games (37-20-7). That even comes after a 4-3 loss in Carolina on Tuesday. Forwards Martin Erat (46 points in 56 games) and David Legwand (40 points in 60 games) and defenseman and captain Shea Weber (40 points in 60 games) lead the offensive attack for the Preds while goaltender Pekka Rinne has been a stone wall in net. The netminder has posted a 35-13-7 record with a .926 save percentage and a 2.33 goals against average. |