FLA - S. Bergenheim (10) MTL - D. Desharnais (6), B. Gionta (7)
MONTREAL — (NHL.com) - Brian Gionta scored at 15:46 of the second period and Carey Price made 26 saves to lead the Montreal Canadiens to a 2-1 win against the Florida Panthers at Bell Centre on Monday.
Montreal center Tomas Plekanec cut off Panthers captain Ed Jovanovski's pass towards defensive partner Erik Gudbransson behind Florida's net to set up the Canadiens' second goal.
"In the third we were better. I think it was the whole team. We lose and win as a team. All-in-all we weren't good enough. Timmy was good.."
- Panthers forward Sean Bergenheim
1. Killer B's Swarm Early: The line of Sean Bergenheim, Aleksander Barkov and Brad Boyes continue their strong offensive play and struck again with 2:51 left in the first frame. Barkov spotted Bergenheim in front of the net with a pretty pass who then beat Habs netminder Carey Price to tie the game at one following an early goal by Montreal’s David Desharnais.
2. Super Sasha: With his assist on the Cats’ first goal, Aleksander Barkov extended his point streak to six games, tying the record for a Panthers rookie. The Panthers young gun tied Jesse Belanger (1993-94) and Kristian Huselius (2000-01) to accomplish that feat. The Flying Finn was all over the ice on the night, entering the Montreal zone more than once with acrobatic puck control skills and deftly finding teammates with crisp passes.
3. Steal And A Game-Winner: After peppering the Montreal net with a series of shots from the point, Panthers captain Ed Jovanovski had a pass behind the Cats’ net picked off by Canadien Thomas Plekanec who then fed the Habs’ captain Brian Gionta who beat Tim Thomas from point blank range top shelf with 4:14 remaining in the 2nd. After giving up a goal on the first shot of the game, Thomas had stopped the next 23 shots before Gionta's eventual game-winner.
Memorable twitter posts from the game.
@kwkouki: Holy cow @NBjugstad72 playing Moses parting the Red Sea in centre bell @FlaPanthers
@turbuLENTZ: More Bark-checking by Finntastic Rookie @FlaPanthers @Barkovsasha95
@Valavuori: Goal scored by Sean Bergenheim, assisted by @Barkovsasha95. Once again @FlaPanthers. The best Finnish duo at the moment by far.
@tanks5alot: @NHL @FlaPanthers Killer B's strike again. @Barkovsasha95, Sean Bergeihiem and Brad Boyes is one of the best lines in hockey
Memorable fan posts from the game.
Gina Pengue: Great effort!!!! Loved watching a TEAM!!
imon Grip: KILLA BEEZ
Mike Gratton: Good effort. Don't have to be ashamed with that loss
1. The Canadiens jumped on the board just 6:23 into the game as David Desharnais beat Thomas on the Habs’ first shot of the night.
2-1. The Cats now sport a 2-1 record against their division rivals after taking both games in 2013 against Montreal.
6. With his goal, Sean Bergenheim has now scored six times in the last six games.
12. With an assist this on Bergenheim's first period tally, young gun Aleksander Barkov now has 12 points in his last 12 games (3-9-12).
16. Florida came in waves in the third period, throwing 16 shots on net but couldn't find the equalizer.
Came up strong time and time again foiling the Cats attack, especially in the third period when the Panthers turned up the pressure.
Florida will have two days off before taking the ice in Buffalo to face another Atlantic Division foe. The Sabres have been on a tear on home ice as of late, winning their last five straight games and limiting their opponents to just one goal in each of their last three victories. Named to the USA Olympic team on Jan. 1, Sabres netminder Ryan Miller has posted a 2.64 GAA and .927 save percentage for a team that struggled mightily for much of the season.