Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Florida Panthers

Panthers News

McArdle's Vancouver Squad Meets Medicine Hat Tonight with Trip to Finals on the Line

by Staff Writer / Florida Panthers
Medicine Hat improved their record to 1-1 with a 4-1 victory over Plymouth Monday night at the 2007 Memorial Cup Tournament in Vancouver. The win keeps hope alive for the Tigers to advance to the Memorial Cup semi-final.

With the loss, the Whalers fell to 0-2 having lost to the Vancouver Giants (2-0) 4-3 in overtime in the Memorial Cup opener. Plymouth is left with a must-win game over the Lewiston MAINEiacs (1-1) Tuesday to avoid elimination. If the Whalers win over the MAINEiacs, it would result in a tiebreaker game on Thursday to decide which team will play in Friday’s semifinals.

Memorial Cup hosts, Vancouver Giants (2-0) look to improve their unbeaten record Wednesday against the Tigers. A Giants win would guarantee a trip to Sunday’s Championship game. Should the Giants lose, they will play in Friday’s Semifinal Game against the winner of the tiebreaker and Medicine Hat would advance directly to the championship game.

"I'm really happy we've won two games. We knew it was important to start strong and and get a berth in the semi and now it's up to us to get the bye straight to the final."

Panther Prospect Kenndal McArdle scored the game winning goal on Friday for the Vancouver Giants 5:06 into overtime, giving the Giants a 4-3 win over the Ontario Hockey League Champion Plymouth Whalers in front of a Memorial Cup Championship tournament record 13,428 screaming fans. 

Sunday afternoon, the Giants, who are hosting this year’s tournament, set another attendance record with 13, 734 people watching the hometown Giants secure a spot in the Memorial Cup Semi-finals, improving their record to 2-0 in the round robin tournament with a 2-1 victory over the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Champion Lewistown MAINEiacs. McArdle was once again played a key role in the Giants win, scoring the game-tying goal in the third period. Wacey Rabbit eventually scored the game-winner for the Giants with less than five minutes remaining in the game.

"We just had to stick with it, I think we were getting frustrated for a bit, but we did a good job to stay with the game plan and trusting that eventually one would go in," said McArdle, who scored the Giants overtime winner against the Ontario champion Whalers to open the 10-day tournament this past Friday.

Tonight’s game between the Plymouth Whalers and the Lewiston MAINEiacs starts at 8:00pm EST. For more details on the 2007 MasterCard Memorial Cup log on to
View More