SUNRISE, Fla. – The Florida Panthers announced today that the team will honor military veterans at their Veteran’s Day game against the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday, Nov. 11.
“We are very proud to honor and recognize all members of the armed forces at our Veteran’s Day game on Tuesday,” said Panthers President & CEO Rory Babich. "Led by Owner/Chairman and West Point graduate Vinnie Viola, our organization has hired numerous veterans to fill a variety of roles within our company. We appreciate and thank all current and former military members for their service to our country.”
Some of the special events and tributes that will take place during Tuesday’s game include:
· United States Army Brigadier General (ret.) Pete Dawkins will drop the ceremonial puck drop before the start of the game. The West Point graduate is well known for his athletic achievements, playing hockey during his time at the military academy and winning the Heisman Tropy in 1958. Selected as a Rhodes Scholar, Dawkins went on to become a leading businessman after his military career. Dawkins will be featured on the Fox Sports Florida telecast and 560 WQAM radio broadcast.
· As a salute to the military, Panthers players will wear special camouflage jerseys for pre-game warmups. Five select player jerseys will be available for fans to bid on as part of a silent auction on Tuesday night, with a portion of the proceeds going to the Florida Panthers Foundation. Additional jerseys will be auctioned off throughout the season on Military Mondays.
· The United States National Anthem will be sung by Sergeant Corrin Campbell.
· The Presentation of the Colors will be conducted by the Young Marines.
· The game will be broadcast to troops stationed overseas on the American Forces Network.
· Florida Panthers players will pay tribute to armed forces with taped in-game video segments that will be aired on the jumbotron and on the Fox Sports Florida broadcast.
· Active military and veterans will receive 50% off select tickets for Tuesday’s game (tickets must be purchased at GovX.com). For more information, visit floridapanthers.com/military.