SUNRISE, FL – Sunrise Sports & Entertainment announced today that the Florida Panthers have launched a program to honor the South Florida High School Student Athlete of the Month, presented by Chili’s. Each month, one male and one female student from South Florida high schools will be awarded for excellence in academics, athletics and community service.
Each winner will receive Chili’s bucks and VIP tickets to a Florida Panthers home game, where they will be recognized during a Panthers game at the BankAtlantic Center.
The following requirements must be met for each nominee to be eligible for consideration:
- Athlete must currently be enrolled in 9th-12th grade.
- The student has to be currently participating in the sport during the time of the nomination
- Student must be academically eligible to be actively playing (GPA requirements must be met)
- If the athlete nominee quits school or moves to a school not in the South Florida Tri-County area (Broward, Miami-Dade, Palm Beach) then he/she will no longer be eligible for consideration
A student does not have to be playing for his or her respective school in order to be considered for nomination – students that are part of a team outside the educational realm may also be considered as long as the team is part of a legitimate governing structure (i.e. League); however, students that fall into these categories must still meet the academic requirements that would otherwise make them eligible to be playing on their school’s behalf.
Student athletes can be nominated through the following process:
- Nominations can be made online at http://FloridaPanthers.com/Community
- Nominations may be submitted by coaches, principals, athletic directors, teachers, school administrators, or other academic or athletic mentors that works with the student.
- Nominations must be received by the last day of each month in order to qualify for that month’s award.
- Students may be nominated more than once; however, nominations do not carry over into the following month and the student must be re-nominated if he or she is not selected as the Student Athlete of the Month for the month in which they were originally nominated.
- Athlete statistics along with any supporting media (news releases, video links, etc.) are strongly recommended to be included with the nomination form.
Sunrise Sports & Entertainment is the premier company of its kind in South Florida. Follow us on Twitter
. Home to more than 200 events annually and the Florida Panthers hockey club, the Broward County-owned BankAtlantic Center welcomes more than two million guests eachyear.