Panthers By The Numbers takes a closer look at some of the
interesting stats that you may or may have not known about.
Panthers 6, Capitals 2
– Getting taken down on a breakaway just 3:40 into the game, David Booth was awarded a penalty shot. The Panthers forward missed on his attempt on Jose Theodore
. It was the first missed opportunity for the Panthers this season as the Cats had converted on their previous three attempts.17
– It only took one period of play for the Panthers to equal the last game in shots as the Cats came out flying with 17 shots in the opening period against Washington. They only had 17 the entire game against New Jersey. Florida put 9 shots on Theodore at even strength and 8 with the man advantage. Bryan McCabe and Stephen Weiss
each had three shots a piece.
– A new high for the Panthers this season as the Cats scored three power play goals in the first period alone. Florida had scored two power play goals nine times this season, but Weiss’ scored his 11th at 3:53, McCabe’s netted his 12th at 6:59 and Jay Bouwmeester’s recorded his 13th at 14:19 of the first period for the Panthers first three goals. The last time the Panthers have scored three power play goals in a game came on March 8, 2008 against Atlanta.4
– The Panthers skaters came out gunning and along with their season high three power play goals in the first, the Panthers also set a new high for most goals in a period, as Richard Zednik’s 13th of the season gave Florida four first period goals. The Panthers had three, eight separate occasions this season.11
– The Panthers leading scorer this season and on pace to crush his previous high of 48 points, Weiss recorded his 11th multi-point game of the season, his second 3-point game (59 games). Weiss scored the first goal of the game for the Panthers and then assisted on Bouwmeester’s goal and on Jassen Cullimore’s second period goal, giving Florida a 5-1 advantage.5
– Acquired in the off-season, McCabe was looked upon to add punch to the Panthers from the backend. He has done that this season collecting 12 goals and 19 assists in 53 games. Sunday, he tied a career high with four points (goal, 3 assists) in the contest. It was the fifth time he has done that, the last time being March 6, 2008 against Boston. For McCabe it was the fifth time he’s had multiple points in a game but just his first with over two points.15
– The Panthers had six different goal scorers and six players had 15 of the Panthers 17 points in the game, with all recording at least two points. McCabe led the way with four points (goal, 3 assists), Weiss had three points (goal, 2 assists) and Bouwmeester (goal, assist), Michael Frolik (goal, assist) and Brett McLean and Keith Ballard (2 assists) all had two points.27
– The Panthers and Capitals split two categories as Florida had 27 blocked shots to Washington’s 15 while the Caps had 27 hits compared to the Cats 11. Ballard and Karlis Skrastins led the Panthers with four blocked shots while Bouwmeester had three and added three hits to lead the Panthers in that category.