Panthers By The Numbers takes a closer look at some of the
interesting stats that you may or may have not known about.
Panthers 4, Penguins 2
– Hitting the ice 1:31 into the first period, Gregory Campbell played in his 300th NHL game. The 5th year pro has 27 goals, 40 assists for 67 points while picking up 259 penalty minutes.1
– Fighting off Hal Gill and then walking in on goal, Rostislav Olesz snapped a backhander past Marc-Andre Fleury jst 1:55 into the contest for his fourth goal of the season. The goal came on the first shot of the game for either squad.4:13
– Some luck resulted in a tied game just 4:13 after Olesz scored. Tyler Kennedy’s centering pass from behind the net hit the bottom of the net and popped over to the front. There, the puck hit Karlis Skrastin’s skate as he tried to clear it. Pascal Dupuis cashed in for his 11th of the season and first in 10 games.2
– It must be something about the Florida Panthers that brings out the worst in Sidney Crosby. Following a clean hip check along the boards on Evgeni Malkin, Cats defenseman Keith Ballard was challenged by the Pens captain with 1:49 left in the first. Crosby who also picked up an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the play has picked up two fighting majors this season (Jan. 6th vs Brett McLean), both against the Panthers. 28 of his 76 penalty minutes have come against the Cats.7
– Just jumping into the offensive zone, Bryan McCabe took a pass from Stephen Weiss
near the blue line and blasted it past Fleury for his 14th of the season with just 19.1 seconds left on the clock in the opening period. Picking up the second assist on Olesz’s goal, McCabe registered his seventh multi-point game of the season, his second in the last three games.11
– David Booth went onto the ice as the extra attacker late in the period (delayed call) as the Cats were on the power play. The move payed off as Booth slammed home his 28th of the season off a rebound with just 11.1 seconds left in the second period. For Booth, it was his team-leading 11th power play goal of the season.400
– Cory Stillman hit a milestone Sunday. Picking up the second assist on Booth’s power play goal, Stillman registered the 400th assist of his NHL career. He becomes the 222nd player in NHL history to accomplish that feat.4
– Not known for his scoring prowess, defenseman Mark Eaton brought the score to 3-2 as his low point shot beat Tomas Vokoun while the Pens were on a power play with 5:54 remaining in the contest. It was Eaton’s fourth goal of the season, his first on the power play.110
– The Cats regained their two goal lead just 1:50 later. Ville Peltonen scored his 12th of the season (second against Pittsburgh) as the forward took the puck from the corner, worked his way out front and forced the puck past Fleury. It was Peltonen’s first goal in nine games.3
– Nine skaters recorded points against the Penguins. Three of them graced the scoresheet twice. McCabe and Olesz (first multi-point game) had a goal and an assist while Jay Bouwmeester picked up two assists (second assist on McCabe’s goal and first assist on Booth’s – eighth multi-point game).51
– A real playoff type atmosphere, the game was chippy from the get go. Ballard’s monster hip check was just one of six for the defenseman while Campbell led the Cats with seven. Florida had 28 hits as a team while Pittsburgh ended with 23.