Panthers By The Numbers takes a closer look at some of the
interesting stats that you may or may have not known about.
Panthers 3, Flyers 2
– Mike Knuble joined a prestigious club Tuesday night, recording the 100th assist of his career with the Flyers. His assist on Simon Gagne’s first period goal allowed him to reach that mark. The Flyer forward has 13 helpers this season.2
– When defenseman Bryan McCabe skated in from the point and beat Flyers netminder Martin Biron in the first period, McCabe did something for the second time this season, score a goal against the same opponent more than once. Four of his nine goals have been against Tampa Bay while he has also had tallies against Washington, Colorado and Pittsburgh during the 2008-09 season.0
– The Panthers and Flyers skated to a one-one tie after the first period of play Tuesday night at BankAtlantic Center and looking on the scoresheet, one would expect to see some positives and negatives in the plus/minus category for both teams as both goals came at even strength. That was the case for Philadelphia, but not Florida as all five Panthers players (Stephen Weiss
, Jassen Cullimore, Bryan McCabe, Cory Stillman and Michael Frolik) were on the ice for both goals. Weiss, Stillman and McCabe all finished plus-1 on the game.5
– Wrapping around the net and then beating Biron shortside midway through the second period, Frolik became the fifth player to hit double digits in goals. He also collected two assists, giving him the first three point game of his career. He is now tied for fifth on the team in scoring with 10 goals and 13 assists.20
– David Booth became the first Panther player to record 20 goals in the season when he scored a second period power play goal, tipping Keith Ballard’s shot past Biron. One other thing of importance with that goal is that the Panthers join the 20 goal club, or at least one player to have 20 goals on the season. Eight clubs do not have a 20-goal scorer: Anaheim, Colorado, Edmonton, Montreal, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins and the Toronto Maple Leafs.4
– Collecting the first assist on both Frolik’s and Booth’s goals, Ballard recorded his fourth multi-assist game of the season. The last time he had two or more assists came 17 days ago in Florida’s 8-4 victory over the Atlanta Thrashers on January 10th at BankAtlantic Center.1
– It was a day to remember for Flyers forward Claude Giroux. The rookie recorded the first goal of his career when he got behind the Panthers defense and raced in on a breakaway, beating Tomas Vokoun to the top left corner of the net with a shot from just above the face-off circle. It was his eighth game played in the NHL.4 (Part II)
– Recording the first goal of the game usually means a Philadelphia victory this season, but not Tuesday night. The Flyers lost for just the fourth time in regulation and ninth time overall after taking the 1-0 lead. They entered the game with a record of 19-3-5 when scoring first.11
– Florida put up 11 shots while on the power play and went 1-of-6 on the man advantage. The 11 shots were almost half (40.7%) of their total as they had 27 shots in the game.