Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Florida Panthers

Panthers News

A Sudden End At Worlds

by Patrick McGrath / Florida Panthers
Vincent Trocheck (Richard Wolowicz / HHOF-IIHF Images)

The World Championships came to an abrupt end for both Canada and the United States as both teams came up short in the quarterfinals. The United States battled back from a 4-1 third period deficit but could not close the gap, losing 4-3 to the Czech Republic while the Canadians blew a 2-1 third period lead, falling 3-2 to Finland.


The Czechs used a three-goal second period to grab a 4-1 lead over the Americans and then held off a furious U.S. comeback attempt to escape with a 4-3 win to advance to the semifinals.

With the score tied at one early in the second period, the momentum swung in favor of the Czechs after Justin Abdelkader received a five minute major and a game misconduct for charging. Down a man for five minutes, the Americans conceded two goals, digging themselves into a 3-1 hole. That hole only got deeper when the Czechs added another with 3:41 left wrapping up their three-goal period.

Down 4-1 with time ticking away in the third period, the Americans almost completed a stunning comeback thanks to a pair of goals from Tyler Johnson in the game’s final minutes. The comeback came up just short as the Czechs and goaltender Alexander Salak held on to advance to the semifinals where they will face Finland.

Vincent Trocheck won seven of the nine face-offs he took in the quarterfinal and he also added one shot and logged 13:32 of ice time. Jimmy Hayes recorded 9:03 of ice time while Drew Shore logged 8:38 of ice time.



The Canadians came back from an early 1-0 deficit to take a 2-1 lead heading into the third period but two scores from the Fins in the final stanza resulted in a 3-2 loss and an early tournament departure for the Canadians who finished atop Group A after preliminary round play.

The Finns killed off four Canadian powerplays in the first period to escape to the first intermission with a 1-0 lead. In the middle 20 minutes, Kyle Turris and Mark Scheifele both struck to go up 2-1 heading into the final frame.

It didn’t take long for the Finns to even the score as they received a goal from Juuso Hietanen just 28 seconds into the third. The game-winner came with 3:08 remaining when Iiro Pakarinen beat Canadian netminder Ben Scrivens. The Canadian comeback attempt was shut down by Finland’s Pekka Rinne who was outstanding in the game, stopping 36 of the 38 shots Canada sent his way.

Jonathan Huberdeau recorded 10:09 of ice time in the quarterfinal while Erik Gudbranson fired three shots on net and finished with a +1 rating in 9:53 of ice time.


View More