SUNRISE, Fla. – Sunrise Sports & Entertainment announced today that 2010 was a banner year for the Florida Panthers, the BankAtlantic Center, the Saveology.com Iceplex, and the entire SSE organization.
Highlighted by the announcement of Cliff Viner as General Partner, the hiring of Stanley Cup champion Dale Tallon as Panthers General Manager, over 10,000 Panthers full season ticket equivalents sold, and a peak arena venue ranking of No. 7 in the nation by Pollstar, SSE cemented its status as one of the best and most diverse sports and entertainment companies in the world.
The year also featured unprecedented growth and success in a number of the organization’s main areas including sponsorship, entertainment, marketing, ticket sales, premium seating, the Saveology.com Iceplex, and more.
“I want to sincerely thank all of our fans in South Florida and beyond, our partners and supporters including sponsors, agents, promoters, the National Hockey League, Broward County, the City of Sunrise, the City of Coral Springs and everyone who helped make 2010 an unforgettable year at Sunrise Sports & Entertainment,” said SSE president & COO Michael Yormark. “It is your support and encouragement that gives us the inspiration to push this business forward each and every day. Now, our attention is fixed on 2011, and surpassing the successes that we have achieved over the last 12 months. ”
Some of SSE’s 2010 accomplishments include:
- The announcement of Cliff Viner as General Partner and Chairman of Sunrise Sports & Entertainment, the Florida Panthers and the BankAtlantic Center
- The hiring of Stanley Cup champion Dale Tallon as Executive Vice President & General Manager of the Florida Panthers Hockey Club
- The revitalization of the hockey operations department including the hiring of Assistant GM Mike Santos, former Panthers greats Brian Skrudland (Director of Player Development) and Gord Murphy (Assistant Coach), scouts Pete Mahovlich, Al Tuer, Kent Nilsson and others
- The highest rated 2010 NHL Entry Draft in the league including first round picks D Erik Gudbranson, F Nick Bjugstad and F Quinton Howden
- Dale Tallon’s “Blueprint” for success including a new culture and attitude, building through the Draft, acquiring quality free agents, making smart trades and being strong up the middle with quality goaltending, defense and centers
- Unique and innovative marketing campaigns including “Seats Fit For A King”, “The Perfect Plan”, “Name Your Price” and more
- The Florida Panthers eclipsing the 10,000 full season ticket equivalents threshold
- Panthers Rookie Camp and Training Camp hosted at the Saveology.com Iceplex in September
- The return of 560 WQAM as radio rights holder and the continuation of FOX Sports Florida as television rights holder for the Panthers
- Bill Torrey Tribute Night and No. 93 retirement in honor of NHL Hall of Famer and the Panthers first team president Mr. William A. Torrey
- The “Good Time Guarantee” campaign
- Revamped game presentation and focus on fan experience for the 2010-11 Panthers season
- A reinvigorated grassroots marketing department featuring the Panthers Party Patrol with “tricked out” Panthers Party Mobiles and inflatable games.
- The Florida Panthers Foundation’s focus on supporting the fight against pediatric cancer including the sold out Face Off Luncheon and Golf Classic
- Saveology.com becoming the official naming rights holder of the Saveology.com Iceplex –formerly incredible ICE – recreational skating facility and official Florida Panthers training facility
- The second biggest crowd in MetroPCS Orange Bowl Basketball Classic history as 13,489 watch Florida take on Kansas State and UCF go up against Miami
- Over $8 million in new sponsorship revenue and over $25 million in current sponsorship revenue annually
- A No. 7 national arena venue ranking for the BankAtlantic Center by trade publication Pollstar
- Record sales on premium seating options including the renowned ADT Club and suites on the Lexus Club and Suite Level
- The opening of the incredible South Florida Hockey Den Of Honor during a tribute weekend that featured Panthers alumni such as Paul Laus, Brian Skrudland, Scott Mellanby, Mike Hough, Doug MacLean, Chris Wells and more
- The biggest and most diverse entertainment schedule including huge shows from some of the biggest names in entertainment such as Bon Jovi, Michael Buble, Shakira, Eric Clapton, Roger Waters, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, John Mayer, Dane Cook, Jay-Z, Jimmy Buffett, Carole King & James Taylor and more.
- A $400,000 donation to the Broward Health Foundation toward the renovation of the Chris Evert Children’s Hospital’s pediatric oncology unit including new Panthers graphics and themes
- SSE president & COO Michael Yormark’s chairmanship of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Light The Night Walk in Broward County with a record fundraising total of over $120,000
- Incredible holiday hockey crowds including New Year’s Eve vs. the Montreal Canadiens, Dec. 27 vs. the Boston Bruins and Thanksgiving week vs. the Pittsburgh Penguins, New York Rangers and the Bruins
- Five Panthers prospects represent their countries at the IIHF World Junior Championship in Buffalo including D Erik Gudbranson and F Quinton Howden for Canada, F Nick Bjugstad and F Drew Shore for the United States and F Joonas Donskoi for Finland
- Innovative new corporate sponsorship agreements with companies such as Duffy’s Sports Grills, The Original Brooklyn Water Bagel Co., Party City, hh Gregg, and more.
- Party City as the presenting sponsor of the 2010-11 Florida Panthers season
- The unveiling of new outdoor “BankAtlantic Center” signage on the face of the arena
- The expansion of The Learning Experience Club House For Kids
- The opening of the new Patron Tequila Platinum Club, Black Velvet Lounge and Svedka Bar
Sunrise Sports & Entertainment is the premier company of its kind in South Florida. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. Home to more than 200 events annually the BankAtlantic Center welcomes more than two million guests each year.