“The fan support we have here is outstanding; we feel it’s the best in the League,” said Oilers Captain Shawn Horcoff
. Forward Sam Gagner
agreed and chimed in, “It’s a great day for us to give back to (the fans) and have a little fun.”
The 2012 Edmonton Oilers Skills Competition featured seven events: Puck Control Relay, Fastest Skater, Hardest Shot, Shooting Accuracy, Power Play Competition, 3-on-3 and the fan-favourite King of the Shootout. Team Blue, led by stellar goaltending by Devan Dubnyk
, earned bragging rights on the day by winning 22-13 over Team White. Some highlights from the afternoon:
- Ben Eager gave Team Blue relay members Shawn Horcoff and Ladislav Smid an early lead in the Puck Control Relay Competition which left them victorious over Team White.
- It was a photo-finish between the two Swede forwards Anton Lander and Magnus Paajarvi in the one-on-one puck control event but the video replay showed that Lander missed a pylon and was disqualified.
- Ben Eager edged out Taylor Hall in the Fastest Skater Competition with a time of 13.58 seconds.
- Andy Sutton broke the 100 mph mark in the Hardest Shot competition with a 102 mph slap shot.
- Sam Gagner sniped four targets in five attempts to win the Shooting Accuracy Competition for Team White.
- Devan Dubnyk and Ladislav Smid shut down Team White’s offense which allowed the line of Ben Eager, Ryan Jones and Josh Green to score three goals against Nikolai Khabibulin to win the 3-on-1 Competition.
- The King of the Shootout Contest produced a surprise winner as Theo Peckham scored on Nikolai Khabibulin in both rounds for the White Team.
- The 3-on-3 competition saw action at both ends of the ice but Team Blue prevailed with an 8-3 win.
Visit edmontonoilers.com for full results, interviews and video highlights.
Today’s event raised funds for the Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation and the NHLPA’s Goals and Dreams Fund.
Edmonton Oilers Hockey is presented in part by Rexall Family of Pharmacies, Molson Canadian, ATB Financial, TELUS, Cenovus Energy and Ford.For more information, please contact:
Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club firstname.lastname@example.org