Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

Sedins team up to down Oilers

by Staff Writer / Edmonton Oilers
The game started out with a bang as Zack Stortini crushed Lukas Krajicek behind the Vancouver net 1:27 in. Stortini was then challenged by Canucks defenceman Rory Fitzpatrick though the bout only lasted several seconds before the two combatants fell to the ice.

Sparks continued to fly as Matt Greene and Jeff Cowan dropped the gloves several minutes later. Greene took down Cowan quickly, avenging his hit from behind on Marc-Andre Bergeron moments earlier.

Six seconds later, Shawn Horcoff tipped a Jason Smith point shot and beat Roberto Luongo low blocker side to give the Oilers a 1-0 lead.

6:48 into the first, bad blood continued between the two sides as Stortini fought Cowan. After a brief grappling match, Stortini finally pulled away from the Canucks forward and landed some punches to earn the decision.

Ales Hemsky almost put the Oilers up by two after he spun and fired a shot on net from the left circle. It was tipped in front by Horcoff but Luongo got his arm on the puck.

Edmonton ran into some penalty trouble late in the period. Hemsky and Torres were both penalized for pushing and shoving Matt Cooke. Hemsky cross-checked him and Torres got two for roughing Cooke on the same play.

With 40 seconds left in the two-man advantage, Daniel Sedin had the puck go off his skate and into the net. After a brief video review, it was ruled a goal.

After one period, shots on goal were 11-7 for Vancouver.

The Oilers had several good chances early in the second to break the tie. Ryan Smyth was sent in alone by Hemsky but his shot went just over the net.

A couple minutes after that, Nedved was set up by Pisani and sent in on a partial breakaway but was hauled down by the Canucks defender with no penalty.

Seconds later, Pisani took a hooking penalty and Torres took exception to the call receiving unsportsmanlike conduct. For the second time on the night, Vancouver received a full two-minute two-man advantage.

Once again, the Canucks scored on the five-on-three. Markus Naslund picked up a rebound in front and put it past Roloson who was out of position. The goal gave Vancouver their first lead of the night, 2-1.

Midway through the second, the Oilers were on a line change when Sykora blasted a shot from the left point. The rebound went straight to Stortini who was charging off the bench towards the net. He made no mistake, putting it into the open net for his first career NHL goal.

After the Canucks successfully killed off the Oilers' first power play of the night, they went right back on the attack and scored to take a 3-2 lead.

Henrik Sedin found Taylor Pyatt in the slot where his redirection eluded Roloson and put Vancouver back in the lead.

The line of Hemsky, Smyth and Horcoff had a late flurry in an attempt to tie the game in the second. The trio plus Smid and Staios pinned Vancouver in their zone for almost a full minute as they moved the puck around the zone. Luongo made several big stops as the Oilers came within inches of scoring on several occasions.

Shots on goal after two were 21-16 for Edmonton.

Daniel Sedin scored his second of the game with 11:42 left in the third. After a weird bounce, Henrik found Daniel driving to the net. He put the puck on his brother's stick and Daniel jammed it past Roloson.

Roloson made a huge glove save off Jan Bulis on a breakaway to keep the Oilers within striking distance. Edmonton was on a power play but a turnover at the blueline resulted in Bulis having a clear path to the net.

Daniel Sedin added an empty-netter to complete the hat trick.

NOTES: Krajicek left the game after being hit by Stortini in the first period and did not return... Both Sedins matched career highs with four points apiece.
View More