Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

RECAP: Sharks 4, Oilers 3

by Marc Ciampa / Edmonton Oilers

SAN JOSE, CA – Two quick goals by the San Jose Sharks midway through the third period led the way for the home side as the Edmonton Oilers couldn't hold on to a 3-2 lead en route to a 4-3 setback in San Jose on Thursday night. 

“I thought we played pretty hard tonight. I thought we competed hard. I thought we scored goals the way we have to. It was a good effort by everybody. It’s a start and a move in the right direction,” said Coach Todd Nelson after the game.

With the Oilers leading 3-2, Matt Tennyson flicked a wrist shot from the right circle past Scrivens for his first career NHL goal to tie the game up at three apiece.

Then only 34 seconds later, Barclay Goodrow got in behind the Oilers defence and despite Justin Schultz's best efforts to to catch him, backhanded a shot by Scrivens to put San Jose back in front 4-3.

"The effort was there, but again close isn't good enough," said Boyd Gordon. "We've struggled to win games all season and tonight's a prime example of that."

The Oilers opened the scoring with 5:17 left in the first period after Gordon, playing in his first game after missing five with a back injury, picked up a loose puck in the slot and backhanded it five-hole through the legs of Sharks netminder Antti Niemi.

“I mentioned about the compete and thought our guys went to the net hard. Look at our goals. They were hard-working goals and if we continue to do that, it’ll continue to happen where the bounces go our way.”

The Sharks tied the game shortly after killing off the penalty. Barclay Goodrow made a quick pass from behind the Oilers net to James Sheppard in the slot and he quickly rifled it by Scrivens to make it 1-1.

About 90 seconds later, San Jose took the lead for the first time in the game after Logan Couture's shot form the right circle beat Scrivens high blocker side; 2-1 Sharks.

The Oilers very quickly tied things back up. 47 seconds later, during a wild goalmouth scramble, Steve Pinizzotto hammered the puck at the top of the crease and it found its way along the ice past Niemi to make it 2-2.

The goals then kept coming for the visitors. 1:36 after the Pinizzotto goal, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins got a stick on the puck as it traveled across the crease. The puck found the back of the net to put Edmonton in front 3-2 at the 9:59 mark.

“I was really happy with the effort," said Nelson. "The guys could have broke in the second period when we were down 2-1 and we battled back and took the lead. Once again, putting 60 minutes together, there were a few lapses there — those things happen — but we liked the effort.”

View More