Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

RECAP: Red Wings 2, Oilers 1 (SO)

by Marc Ciampa / Edmonton Oilers


DETROIT, MI - After tying a closely-contested game in the third period, the Edmonton Oilers were ultimately edged 2-1 in a shootout by the Detroit Red Wings at the Joe Louis Arena on Friday night.

"I wish we would have got a better result. I thought our guys worked hard for it," said Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins after the game.

"I thought after that third period in St. Louis it would be interesting to see what kind of effort we had," the head coach added, saying he was very pleased overall with the effort. 

With the Wings leading 1-0 for most of the game, Edmonton finally found a way to get on the board and pull even with 11:07 to play in the third.

Ryan Smyth intercepted a clearing attempt by Brendan Smith and then proceeded to wire a shot glove side to beat Jimmy Howard and tie the game.

"It was a great forecheck by Hendy and Gordo," Smyth said about his goal. "I thought we had a decent first period and thought we picked it up in the third."

10:27 into the third, Danny DeKeyser received two minutes for interference to give the Oilers a power play chance to move into the lead for the first time in the game.

"We were fortunate enough to salvage a point. When you've got opportunities on the power play you have to earn it first and then capitalize on it," Smyth continued.

Boyd Gordon cleared the puck into the crowd from his own end with less than three minutes to play, resulting in a delay-of-game penalty but Edmonton was able to kill it off.

Shots on goal at the end of regulation were 21-20 for Edmonton

Oilers got another delay-of-game penalty when Martin Marincin cleared the puck over the glass from his own zone 90 seconds into the extra frame.

"Our penalty kill had been excellent lately. We've had to kill four-on-threes and five-on-threes and we were good tonight," Eakins stated.

The penalty was killed and Taylor Hall had a couple of excellent chances to end it but Jimmy Howard made the saves needed. Hall showed a lot of emotion after the near miss.

"I don't like guys body language when it's in reference to one of his teammates but with Taylor he's hard on himself," Eakins remarked. "I certainly don't want robots on this team. I like seeing emotion. As long as his body language is about himself I've got no problem with it."

At the end of 65 minutes, shots were 23-22 for Detroit.

The Oilers held a slight edge in the play early on in the game, outshooting the hosts 4-1 through the first six minutes.

Just past the first period’s midway point, the first penalty of the game went to Edmonton. Nail Yakupov received two minutes for slashing to send Detroit on the power play. The Red Wings were unable to score on the man advantage but did pick up some momentum.

The momentum paid off with 6:07 to play in the first as Riley Sheahan, posted at the right side of the net, quickly tapped in a feed past Oilers starting goaltender Viktor Fasth to put the Red Wings on the board first.

The goal gave the Red Wings some more momentum as they started to create chances in the Oilers end. Fasth came up big on a couple close opportunities.

At the buzzer, Justin Abdelkader and Andrew Ference dropped the gloves, but the officials get between them before any punches could be thrown. Shots on goal after one period was 8-6 for Edmonton.

The second period started with both teams playing four-on-four hockey after the Ference and Abdelkador penalties.

Brian Lashoff hauled down Ryan Jones with 10:27 to play in the second, giving the Oilers their first power play of the night. Edmonton was unable to convert, however. Shots on goal midway through the game were 13-12 for the Oilers.

With 6:03 to go in the second, David Perron received two minutes for holding, setting up Detroit's second man advantage of the evening.

Coming out of the penalty kill, Oilers tied some different looks up front, including Hall, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins.

Shots after 40 minutes were 15-13 for the Oilers.   

View More