Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

RECAP: Oilers 4, Jets 3 OT

by Chris Wescott / Edmonton Oilers


WINNIPEG, MB  – The Oilers scored three goals in 3:42 in the third period to rally from down 3-0 to tie the game and Anton Slepyshev’s one-timer during 3-on-3 overtime found twine for the 4-3 win.

“At the stage we’re in right now, we’ll take it,” said Oilers Head Coach Todd McLellan. “Again, it’s important that we push the game further and further, that we don’t fold our hand. We talked about that. We never know what can happen. We were watching them in that situation. I thought a lot of players handled it well. It’s something that we need to learn to do game in and game out.”

The first period didn’t bring any goals for either team, but the Oilers could have been ahead by a couple if not for the Jets penalty kill and goaltender Ondrej Pavelec. Edmonton had three power play opportunities in the first but failed to capitalize on any. That would become a theme for the game with the Oilers going scoreless on their first six chances, although they buried one later in the game to start their rally.

Their best scoring chance of the first came when Brad Hunt’s point shot glanced off of Pavelec’s glove. Anton Lander batted the puck down to the ice from midair and nearly potted the go-ahead goal. However, the goalie was there to make the save.

In the second period, the Jets were the first to get on the board. Chase De Leo skated down the left wing and sent a nice pass in front of the net, under Oilers defenceman Andrej Sekera. JC Lipon was waiting for it, and promptly scored on the open side of the net at 6:55 to make it a 1-0 game.

Ben Chiarot’s point shot fluttered through traffic and found its way past Oilers goaltender Ben Scrivens at 12:32 of the second. Jay Harrison earned the assist, as Winnipeg took a 2-0 lead.

Winnipeg made it 3-0 by getting the puck to the net and pouncing on the rebound. Andrew Copp swept the loose puck into the net past Scrivens at 15:16 of the middle frame.

The Oilers got into penalty trouble in the third, but Scrivens and their penalty kill were able to weather the storm to keep it a 3-0 game until Edmonton finally got on the board.

Scrivens would finish the game with 31 saves and helped the Oilers stay in the game late.

“I thought Ben was fine,” said McLellan. “When it’s 3-0 and a couple scramble goals go in, you have a tendency to sag. I thought in the third period he made some saves that allowed us to claw back in. I think he did a very good job of keeping it at three.”

Anton Lander gave the Oilers their first goal of the game at 12:51 of the third. Lander won the draw and then had a wide-open look backdoor after a shot on net and made no mistake with his score. The goal was the Oilers first power play tally of the night after six straight without a score.

The rally continued when Lauri Korpikoski quieted the MTS Centre with a redirection of Nikita Nikitin’s pass out in front of Pavelec. The goal made it a 3-2 game at 13:55 of the third.

With Taylor Hall in the penalty box for a retaliatory slash on Chiarot after a big hit, the Oilers tied things up shorthanded. Korpikoski shot the puck and Rob Klinkhammer buried the rebound at 16:33 of the third frame and sent the game to OT.

Andrew Miller set up Anton Slepyshev for a one-timer backdoor and he buried with 2:16 remaining in the 3-on-3 overtime period. Slepyshev’s goal lifted the Oilers to a 4-3 victory, their fourth win of the pre-season.
View More