Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

RECAP: Oilers 2, Flames 0

by Marc Ciampa / Edmonton Oilers


CALGARY, AB - The Edmonton Oilers scratched and clawed their way to a 2-0 win over the Calgary Flames at the Scotiabank Saddledome on Friday night.

"I thought we played a sound game. I don't think it was a real exciting game. It was two teams trying to not give up anything," said Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins.

Ryan Smyth scored both Oilers goals, including the game winner in the opening period and the clinching empty netter.

"I thought Smytty battled through the game tonight. He had a couple really good chances down low. Always nice to see pucks go in their empty net instead of ours," Eakins continued.

Devan Dubnyk made 27 saves for the shutout.

"We kept a lot of stuff to the outside. Devan was called upon to make some big saves," the head coach remarked.

Early in the game, the play was carried by Calgary as they outshot the Oilers 4-1 through the game’s first four minutes.

The first penalty of the game went to Jordan Eberle, two minutes for tripping. The Oilers were able to kill it off without allowing a scoring chance.

With 8:18 to play in the opening frame, as Eberle was trying to break into the Flames zone, he was hacked by T.J. Brodie to set up Edmonton's first power play of the night.

Just over a minute into the power play, Edmonton came close to getting the game's first goal. A nice three-way passing play ended in Ryan Smyth fanning on a shot at the doorstep with a wide open net.

Calgary looked to take the lead with just over five minutes to play. Mark Giordano's wrist shot from the high slot beat Dubnyk but it was ruled that Joe Colborne interfered with the Oilers netminder moments before the puck went in.

After the game, Dubnyk said he agreed with the goaltender interference call.

"He spun me, I lost my balance when I wouldn't have," he said.

Oilers struck for a flukey goal with two minutes left in the first. Hemsky's shot from the side boards banked in off Ryan Smyth in front of the net. The goal was reviewed and ruled a good goal.

With two seconds left in the opening frame, Dubnyk made a nice glove grab on a one-timer blast from Brodie as the Flames were pressuring late.

Shots on goal after one period were 12-10 for Calgary.

1:10 into the second period, Lee Stempniak received two minutes for hooking but Flames were able to kill it off.

Past the five-minute mark of the middle frame, Anton Lander got in behind the Calgary defence and came in all alone on Reto Berra. Lander elected to shoot and Berra made the stop.

A boarding penalty on Anton Belov put the Flames on the power play with a chance to tie the game up. They were able to keep the play in the Edmonton end for the majority of the man advantage but were unable to convert.

With less than a minute to go in the middle frame, Taylor Hall was upended behind the net by Matt Stajan, sending the Oilers back on the PP.

Shots after 40 minutes were 20-16 Calgary.

The Oilers put in a strong third period, outshooting Calgary 12-7 and limiting the home side's scoring chances.

David Perron was tripped up at the blueline by Mark Giordano with 58 seconds to go in the third as he tried to gain a lane to the empty Flames net. Result was a penalty to Giordano.

On the power play, the Flames iced the puck with 12 seconds left and the linesmen erroneously blew the whistle. The result was a faceoff at centre ice and off the draw, Smyth fired it into the empty cage to make it a 2-0 game.

View More