Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

RECAP: Kings 8, Oilers 2

by Marc Ciampa / Edmonton Oilers


LOS ANGELES, CA – For the second straight night, the Edmonton Oilers couldn’t overcome a slow start, dropping an 8-2 decision to the Los Angeles Kings at the Staples Center on Thursday night.

"They came at us real hard at the start," said Oilers interim head coach Todd Nelson. "They didn't let up until maybe late in the third. They're a desperate hockey team and they're a good hockey team. They're the Stanley Cup Champions and they're trying to put themselves in a position to go after it again and they played a very strong game."

The loss was the second straight for the Oilers, after dropping a 5-1 decision on Thursday against the Ducks. Prior to that the team had won three straight but ran into a road block in Southern California.

"That's the benchmark in the Western Conference. Anaheim's leading the league, this team right here all they have to do is get into the playoffs and we've seen what they've done in the past. Both of these teams are big, heavy teams and that's the standard right now."

It didn't take the Kings long to get on the board. 2:23 into the game, a shot from Dustin Brown off the side boards beat Ben Scrivens on the short side.

With the Oilers down a goal, Anton Lander — fresh off his newly-signed two-year contract extension earlier today — had a great chance to tie it up. Taylor Hall spotted him at the top of the crease and he quickly redirected it on goal. Jonathan Quick made a big stop to keep his team in front.

Two minutes after Quick’s big stop, the Kings make it a 2-0 lead less than five minutes after their opening goal. Anze Kopitar spotted Marian Gaborik in the slot and he made no mistake, rifling it past Scrivens to double the lead for the home team.

 The Kings increased their lead to 3-0 after Drew Doughty's wrist shot through traffic beat a screened Scrivens. The goal came 2:06 after Gaborik’s marker and in total it was three goals in 6:50 for the Kings to give them a three-goal lead before the first period had even reached the halfway point.

The first penalty of the game went to Robyn Regehr of the Kings, who dumped Matt Fraser in front of the L.A. net with 2:47 to go in the first. This put the Oilers on the power play for the first time on the night, but it was shortlived.

The Kings went on the attack while killing the penalty. Anton Lander skated back to try and impede the progress of Kopitar on a two-on-one and received two minutes for hooking as a result. This put the teams four skaters aside for 1:05 and gave the Kings a power play to round out the opening period.

Shots on goal after one period were 12-9 for the home team.

7:40 into the second period, Kyle Clifford's shot was gloved by Scrivens. Afterwards, Clifford collided with the Oilers goaltender and took a two minute penalty as a result. Edmonton then headed on their second power play of the night — and this time they converted.

It only took the Oilers 15 seconds to score on this power play. Teddy Purcell picked up a loose puck in the slot and swept it past Quick for the goal to make it 3-1.

With 7:46 to go in the second, Jordan Nolan picked up the puck in the corner and drove to the net before jamming it inside the post, giving the Kings a three-goal lead once again at 4-1.

Less than two minutes alter, Kings took their third penalty of the game. Brayden McNabb was sent to the box, putting the Oilers power play back to work. On the man advantage, Nail Yakupov got robbed when Jonathan Quick slid across to make a huge stop on a one-timer. That was as close as the Oilers would get.

Edmonton received a penalty for having too many men on the ice, sending the Kings to their first full power play of the evening. A minute in, Jeff Carter quickly redirected a feed past Scrivens to make it a 5-1 game.

Shots after 40 minutes were 21-20 for the Kings.

Tyler Bunz replaced Scrivens in goal to start the third period, but the Oilers did not respond as Coach Nelson had hoped. Los Angeles rattled off seven of the first eight shots in the period, scoring twice on Bunz, who was making his NHL debut.

A shot by Robyn Regehr went off Matt Hendricks on its way to the net, trickling inside the left post for the 6-1 Los Angeles lead 2:53 into the third.

Only 22 seconds later, the Kings struck again to make it a six-goal lead as Gaborik potted his second of the night and before the period was 10 minutes old, it was 8-1. Jeff Carter batted his own rebound out of the air past Bunz on a breakaway, scoring his second of the night to give the Kings eight goals on the night.

"I think it's just getting your feet wet," said Bunz after the game. "Obviously I'd like that second one back. It hit the tip of my glove and bounced in. Stuff like that happens, but for the most part I felt good out there. The breakaway goal, (Carter) is a top player in the league and he's going to bat that in nine times out of 10."

Jordan Eberle added a goal with 1:30 to play in the game, making the final 8-2.
View More