Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

RECAP: Flyers 4, Oilers 1

by Marc Ciampa / Edmonton Oilers

PHILADELPHIA, PA - The Edmonton Oilers allowed a pair of goals in the first period to Philly’s Jake Voracek and couldn’t catch up despite outshooting the Flyers 36-25 on the evening. In the end, it was a 4-1 loss in Philadelphia to open the team’s five-game road trip.

Voracek’s first goal came just about four minutes in. He picked up the puck behind the Edmonton net and scored on a wraparound attempt to get the home side on the board early.

Voracek rang a shot off the post several minutes later as he continued to buzz around the Oilers net. With 3:56 to go in the opening frame he scored his second of the night. His shot from the left circle made its way through a screen and past Fasth to make it 2-0 Philly.

"Tough one for us to frame right now," said Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins after the game. "We thought we had a good start on the road and unfortunately a tough goal against from behind the net. I thought our guys stuck with the game plan and I thought our power play looked better."

It was the first game back between the pipes for Fasth. He stopped 21 of 25 shots.

"I thought (Fasth) was battling out there," the head coach stated. "I thought he battled hard.  It's good for him it's out of the way now and he's got a game under his belt."

Fasth said his groin felt good out there but he wasn't happy overall with his performance.

"I felt a little bit rusty. I could have made a couple more saves," he said.

Shots on goal after one period were 11-8 for the Oilers but the team wasn't happy with its play.

“The first period I thought we could have played a lot better.  I thought the first half of the first period, we got that one out of the way and we started to play a lot better hockey," said Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. "We started to get back to what we were used to and there hadn’t been anyone to get the puck down low to.  I thought we could have done a little better job of closing them off early, but other than that we just got to find a way to win.”

Just over four minutes into the second period, the Flyers extend their lead to three. Pierre-Edouard Bellmare one-timed a behind-the-back pass from Zac Rinoldo. The puck ricocheted off the skate of Oscar Klefbom on its way to the net then trickled across the goal line to make it 3-0 Flyers.

Edmonton finally got on the board just before the game’s midway point. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins used his speed to separate himself from Rinaldo. He cut in front of the net and deked out Mason to draw the Oilers back within a pair. Jordan Eberle and Justin Schultz got the assists. Shots on goal at the game’s midway point were 18-13 for Edmonton.

Two minutes after RNH made it 3-1, the Flyers regained their three-goal lead. Luke Schenn's shot from the right circle slipped by Fasth for the marker.

30 seconds after the fourth Flyers goal, Matt Hendricks tried to get his team some emotion, dropping the gloves with Rinaldo. Hendricks got the edge in the bout, taking down Rinaldo. The Oilers winger went to the dressing room for repairs afterwards.

After two periods, shots on goal were 26-15 for Edmonton.

David Perron was wrangled to the ice by Mark Streit while driving to the net over five minutes into the final frame. Result was an Oilers power play.

During the man advantage, the Oilers threw everything they had at the Flyers but goaltender Steve Mason was up to the task. Mason made a pair of big stops on Yakupov -- one-timer blasts from the right point. Mason also slid across from post-to-post to deny Perron on a wraparound attempt.

Midway through the third, the Oilers had another power play after Benoit Pouliot was upended by Nick Schultz behind the Flyers net but again they could not convert.
View More