Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

Oilers take out Canucks with 3-2 win

by Staff Writer / Edmonton Oilers
Vancouver carried the play early in the game, carrying a territorial advantage over the Oilers but unable to generate any quality scoring chances.

Edmonton was finally able to pick up some momentum five minutes in when Matt Cooke took an interference penalty. On the ensuing power play, Ryan Smyth almost scored on a backhand attempt in-close but Auld got a pad on it.

For the first time in this three-game series, the Oilers struck for the game's first goal. While shorthanded, Shawn Horcoff took advantage of a Canucks turnover and broke in on a two-on-one with Smyth. Horcoff fed Smyth who chipped it past Auld.

Late in the period, Samsonov and Smyth had a two-on-one as they cut toward the Vancouver net on an Oilers power play. However, Bryan Allen broke up the play before Samsonov could get a shot or find Smyth in front.

After one period, the Oilers were outshooting Vancouver 8-7.

It didn't take Vancouver long to even the game. 22 seconds into the middle frame, Ryan Kesler was stationed in front of the Edmonton net where he shovelled the puck under Roloson.

Roloson redeemed himself with a nice stop on Markus Naslund off the rush followed by a save on Burrows seconds later.

Midway through the second, Ales Hemsky put the puck on net from the half boards while on an Oilers power play and Samsonov was in front to collect the rebound and sweep it by Auld to put Edmonton back in the lead at 3-2.

Edmonton looked to double their lead with four minutes left while on their fourth man advantage of the night. Hemsky had the best chance but couldn't beat Auld one-on-one. The Canucks netminder stuck out his right pad to turn the shot away.

With two periods in the books, shots on goal were 19-18 for Edmonton.

Edmonton moved ahead 3-1 early in the third as Steve Staios pinched in to record his seventh goal of the season. Rem Murray was behind the net and threw it in front where Staios deposited the puck short side.

Just over two minutes later, Vancouver coach Marc Crawford reunited the line of Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi and it paid off. Naslund fired a shot from the point that Roloson stopped through a screen but the rebound went straight to Morrison who backhanded it in to draw Vancouver back within a goal.

The Oilers did an outstanding job limiting Vancouver's chances just past the midway point, putting pressure in the Canucks zone and continually stripping their opponents of the puck as they tried to carry the puck into Edmonton's side of the ice.

Vancouver started to get pressure again with time dwindling down. With 1:25 left, things got even more tense when Sergei Samsonov took a cross-checking penalty.

NOTES: Matt Greene drew back into the lineup for Edmonton with Marc-Andre Bergeron drawing out due to injury... The Oilers were 50% in the faceoff circle with Rem Murray leading the way at 100% (3-for-3). Jarret Stoll was 50% while Michael Peca was 37%... In the three-game series, Edmonton took three of a possible six points while Vancouver took four of six.
View More