CALGARY – The six National Hockey League (NHL) franchises in Canada have joined forces with Hockey Canada and its 13 Branches by each contributing $25,000 for the next two seasons to fund and coordinate national and regional based minor hockey initiatives across Canada focused on grassroots programming.
The funds from all six Canadian NHL teams will be used towards the execution of a new nationally based, regionally executed development model called Hockey Canada Regional Centres.
"Hockey Canada has a great partnership with the NHL teams in Canada, but to come together as one unified front: Hockey Canada, the six Canadian NHL teams and Hockey Canadas 13 Branches; all in partnership for the benefit of the young boys and girls that are involved with our game, is a great accomplishment and something that will benefit our participants all across the country" said Johnny Misley, Vice-president, Hockey for Hockey Canada.
With this funding from Canadas NHL teams, Hockey Canada has re-launched its Centre of Excellence concept originally launched in the mid-1980s. Hockey Canada will operate four regional offices across Canada joining together Hockey Canada, its 13 Branches across Canada, and the six Canadas NHL teams to strengthen the links between the NHL clubs and grassroots programming.
The Hockey Canada Regional Centres will provide support, promotional opportunities and outreach initiatives for the six Canadian NHL teams and Hockey Canadas 13 Branches to provide clinics and educational support to the players, coaches, officials and hockey parents across Canada. The Hockey Canada Regional Centres will coordinate and support events with the NHL Teams and will engage some of the many volunteers and Branch personnel for program delivery.
Key Program Promotion Components for Canadian NHL teams:
- Coaching Day Programs – minor hockey coaches learn and interact with Branch personnel and NHL coaches
- Skills Challenge and Testing Program – focusing on skill development, and testing of skills of young players
- Skills Clinics for players – enhancing the skills of players through on and off-ice seminars held locally across Canada
Key Hockey Canada/Branch Outreach Program Components:
1. Hockey Canada Skills Camps Coordination and Support – enhancing skills of players
2. Chevrolet Safe and Fun Hockey Program Coordination and Support – a national program based around having fun, with on and off-ice seminars and clinics for both players and parents
For more information on the Hockey Canada Regional Centres, visit the official website of Hockey Canada at www.hockeycanada.ca