Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

Oilers Fall 4-0 to Flames

by Staff Writer / Edmonton Oilers
Marty Reasoner had the best scoring chance early on, taking the puck to the net and attempting to go five-hole on Miikka Kiprusoff. The puck didn't cross the line until well after the whistle had gone, however.

On Zack Stortini's first shift, he took a couple of runs at Flames defencemen. He first collided with Mark Giordano along the end boards and then threw the body at Andrei Zyuzin.

On the next shift, Marc-Andre Bergeron absolutely levelled Stephane Yelle at the centre ice redline. After the hit, Byron Ritchie skated in and dropped the gloves with Bergeron, answering the bell for Yelle. The two grappled for about a minute and were both assessed four-minute minors.

Toby Petersen almost got his second goal in as many nights. Perched at the side of the Calgary net, he picked up a rebound and tried to jam it in past Kiprusoff but the Flames netminder stood his ground.

Through the first six minutes, the Oilers had a 6-0 edge in shots over Calgary. The shot count was 7-0 before Calgary's first shot on goal at the 9:05 mark of the first.

Calgary's first power play of the game came with 6:30 to go in the first. Dwayne Roloson touched the puck outside the trapezoid behind the net and got a delay-of-game penalty as a result.

On the ensuing power play, Roloson stopped an initial shot by Roman Hamrlik but Matt Lombardi picked up the rebound and stickhandled around the Edmonton netminder before putting the puck in.

After the goal, Calgary had closed the gap in shots to 7-6. On the next shift following the Flames' goal, the "Czech Mates" line along with Bergeron created some pressure deep in the Calgary end. The result of their hard work was a hooking penalty assessed to Stephane Yelle.

While the Oilers were unable to score on that power play, they were able to regain momentum and went into the intermission with a 10-6 edge in shots over their Alberta rivals.

Petr Sykora made a nice move early in the second to set up Ales Hemsky with a breakaway pass as he was skating up the middle. Hemsky tried to maneuvre around Kiprusoff but couldn't complete the play.

Roloson made a big stop midway through the period, sticking out his right pad to deny Dustin Boyd on a good opportunity.

Several minutes later, Boyd had another chance and this time converted. His wrister from the right circle went through the legs of Roloson before trickling across the line.

Toby Petersen made a nice move along the left-side boards to get the puck to Pisani in the high slot but his shot was stopped by Kiprusoff. On the next shift, Pisani found Torres alone at the top of the crease but the Flames netminder made another huge stop.

With less than 90 seconds to play in the second, the Flames scored again to up their lead to 3-0. Huselius made a nice move on a two-on-one to feed the puck through the legs of Jason Smith to Alex Tanguay. Tanguay deposited the puck into the yawning cage for the goal.

After two, the Oilers trailed by three despite outshooting the Flames 21-15.

Smyth and Horcoff both had chances to get the Oilers back in the game as they buzzed around the Calgary net. The two forwards both had opportunities with Kiprusoff sprawled out on the ice but couldn't lift it over the Flames netminder.

Coming back the other way, the Flames had a chance on a rush by Matthew Lombardi. Phaneuf pinched in on the play and managed to hammer it five-hole past Roloson.

After the goal, Roloson was replaced in net by Jussi Markkanen.

Zack Stortini saw some power play time with Roman Hamrlik in the box as Oilers head coach Craig MacTavish searched for some answers offensively for Edmonton.

Markkanen made some nice saves shortly after the penalty expired, denying Tanguay on a pair of shots. He extended his right pad to get a toe on his rebound attempt.

Things started to get heated between the two provincial rivals midway through the third. After levelling Robyn Regehr along the end boards, Stortini had some words with Calgary tough guy Eric Godard.

On the next shift, Stortini and Phaneuf were jawing back and forth and shortly afterward a melee erupted. Marcus Nilson dropped the gloves with Marty Reasoner. Reasoner received a game misconduct and on the same play, Stortini received a ten-minute misconduct.

About a minute later, Jason Smith and Regehr dropped the gloves as the game started to get out of hand. Smith also received two for slashing to put Calgary back on the power play.

View More