Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

Oilers end season on a high note

by Staff Writer / Edmonton Oilers

Calgary came close to scoring the game's first goal just over a minute into the contest. Alex Tanguay's initial shot from the left circle was saved by Dwayne Roloson. Jarome Ignila tried to pounce on the rebound but couldn't get to the puck in time.

Patrick Thoresen and Toby Petersen each had chances from close range for Edmonton but were turned away by Miikka Kiprusoff.

About three minutes later, Kiprusoff gloved down a Shawn Horcoff wrister from the right hash marks.

A penalty to Marty Reasoner early on gave Calgary the game's first power play. On the ensuing power play, Roloson made a number of huge saves to keep the game scoreless. He denied Iginla early on and then just as the power play was expiring, he made a great save on David Moss from the top of the crease.

Edmonton received its first man advantage 9:32 into the opening frame. With the Oilers starting to generate some offence in the Calgary end, Roman Hamrlik took an interference penalty.

Brad Stuart elbowed Petr Sykora behind the Calgary net and was sent off, giving Edmonton another chance with the man advantage. Edmonton almost scored on that power play on several occasions but the Oilers couldn't fire the bouncing puck past Kiprusoff.

Shots on goal after one were 12-10 for Calgary.

36 seconds into the second period, Calgary scored to move in front 1-0. Marcus Nilson skated out from behind the net and thew it in front. The puck ricocheted off Marty Reasoner in front before beating Roloson.

The Oilers had a pair of chances on the following shift in an attempt to tie the game. Kiprusoff had to be sharp in making a glove save off a laser from Ales Hemsky. Hemsky then walked out in front and tried to jam the puck past the Calgary netminder but was denied.

Near the midway mark of the period, Calgary scored again to make it a two-goal game. Stephane Yelle dug the puck out of the corner and fed it to Tony Amonte in the slot. His one-timer beat Roloson for the goal.

With six minutes to go in the second, Patrick Thoresen was hooked from behind while on a partial breakaway. David Hale was sent off for two minutes as a result.

On the ensuing power play, Ales Hemsky tallied to close the gap to one goal. Hemsky's blast from the right circle beat Kiprusoff to the glove side and made it a 2-1 game.

With time ticking off in the middle frame, Edmonton scored again to tie the game at 2-2. Tom Gilbert was on the ice and played deep in the zone while Sykora moved back to the point. Gilbert picked up the puck in the corner and fired it over to Ladislav Smid at the right point. Smid's shot beat Kiprusoff to knot things up.

After two, shots were 22-18 in favour of Calgary.

Joffrey Lupul almost broke the deadlock early in the third after his wrister rang off the post behind Kiprusoff.

A couple minutes later, the Oilers almost scored again as Kiprusoff had some trouble handling the rebound after a Bryan Young point shot. Torres attempted to jam it inside the left post with a backhand but the Flames goaltender was able to keep his pad squeezed against the side of the net.

Calgary had a great chance at their end as well. Tanguay's shot snuck through the pads of Roloson but hit the post on the other side.

The Flames came close again on a power play midway through the third but Roloson stood tall, denying Brad Stuart on a pair of chances in-close.

With 8:43 left in the third, the Oilers struck again to take their first lead of the night. On a nice three-way passing play, Danny Syvret fed Patrick Thoresen in front of the net for an easy tap-in after his cross-ice pass found the Norwegian's stick.

The Oilers almost made it 4-2 when Raffi Torres chipped the puck on net. It hopped over the pad of Kiprusoff but he was able to bat it away with his paddle before it crossed the line.

Roloson made an amazing save of his own with four minutes left, sliding across to rob Mark Giordano of a sure goal.
View More