Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

Oilers drop OT decision to Sabres

by Staff Writer / Edmonton Oilers
The play in overtime was fast-paced as both teams raced back and forth, trading chances. Eventually, the Oilers were caught up ice which produced a three-on-one for the Sabres.

Sabres leading point-getter Daniel Briere had the puck in the slot and he took his time before lifting a shot just under the crossbar.

At the start of the game, Oilers defenceman Marc-Andre Bergeron tripped up Sabres forward Derek Roy as he was skating towards the Oilers net, negating a good scoring chance but he was sent off for two minutes as a result.

  • View Morley's photo blog from Day 4 of road trip

  • Edmonton's penalty killers stepped up and killed off the Sabres' first power play of the night. The Oilers used that momentum and spun it into the game's first goal.

    Some hard forechecking by Ryan Smyth created a great opportunity as he left it for Hemsky who skated into the corner before finding Shawn Horcoff at the left faceoff circle. Horcoff's wrister beat Ryan Miller glove side to make it 1-0.

    Marc Pouliot had a great chance to make it 2-0 after being set up on a two-on-one by Raffi Torres but his shot attempt went over the net.

    Roloson came up with a huge save with five minutes left in the first. Thomas Vanek fed Maxim Afinogenov for a one-timer but the Oilers netminder came across to stop the shot.

    Several minutes later, Zack Stortini and Andrew Peters dropped the gloves for a lengthy fight. The two went toe-to-toe for quite some time with Peters getting in more shots before Stortini finally took down the hulking Sabres forward.

    After one, shots on goal were 5-5.

    Buffalo came out flying to start the second period, peppering Roloson with nine shots in the opening five minutes of the middle frame.

    Horcoff had another opportunity five minutes into the second from roughly the same location. Smyth, Hemsky and Horcoff hooked up on a nice three-way passing play with Horcoff getting the wrister from the left circle. This time, Miller made the stop.

    Roloson came up with another huge stop near the end of a Sabres power play. Vanek made some nice moves to move himself into position in the high slot before finding Chris Drury perched at the left side of the net. Roloson got his left pad down to deny Drury on the one-timer.

    After the Oilers had several chances to double the Sabres' lead to 2-0, Buffalo's Maxim Afinogenov created a turnover deep in the Buffalo end after knocking the puck off Hemsky's stick. He then carried the puck up ice before dropping it to Vanek. His shot was stopped by Roloson but Afinogenov drove the net and banged the rebound in to tie the game at 1-1.

    Shots after two periods were 20-17.

    Smyth, Horcoff and Hemsky almost gave Edmonton the lead early in the third after creating a scoring chance following a rush up-ice. However, Smyth ran into a road block at the end of the play and both Hemsky and Horcoff collided.

    Edmonton finally got its first power play of the night when Henrik Tallinder tripped up Ryan Smyth behind the Buffalo net. On the ensuing power play, the best chance actually went to the Sabres as Drury created a turnover and broke in alone on Roloson. The Oilers netminder made a nice save on Drury's deke move.

    Buffalo almost took the lead with about four minutes to go with some frantic action in front of the Edmonton net. Briere had Roloson down and out but couldn't manoeuvre the puck to get it across the line thanks to Roloson getting a toe on it.

    Coming back the other way, Miller stopped a point shot from Steve Staios and Petersen's backhand attempt was also denied.

    After regulation, the shot count was 30-28 for Buffalo.
    View More