Skip to Main Content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

GAME STORY: Oilers 3, Ducks 2 OT

Milan Lucic sent the game to overtime where Leon Draisaitl finished things off lifting the Oilers to a 3-2 win against the Ducks and a first place spot in the division

by Chris Wescott / Head Writer

 Video: OILERS TODAY | EDM vs. ANA Post

EDMONTON, AB - Milan Lucic scored a power-play goal late in the third to send the game to overtime, and the Connor McDavid-Leon Draisaitl combo finished things off 1:26 into overtime to give the Oilers a 3-2 win and a first place spot in the Pacific Division.

"It was a great win," said McDavid, who finished with a goal and two assists. "We battled back, battled with them all night. Tough team. We did a good job and found a way to win a hockey game."





Next up for the Oilers is a trip to California, beginning with a game against the Kings in Los Angeles on Tuesday. You can watch on NBCSN or Sportsnet West and listen live on 630 CHED and the Oilers Radio Network.


The first period was mostly Oilers, beginning with a big chance less than 30 seconds into the game. McDavid and Draisaitl streaked down the ice on a 2-on-1, but McDavid was denied at the post. McDavid would get that goal back later in the frame.

The top line would get the juices flowing again later in the period. After another missed opportunity on a 2-on-1 by the same duo, the Oilers top line hemmed the Ducks in their zone with a little less than 13 minutes to go in the frame. Patrick Maroon and McDavid couldn't break John Gibson with their back-to-back, point-blank chances and the game remained scoreless.

Midway through the first, Edmonton was swarming in the offensive zone and kept the puck in for a long time, leading to a supportive ovation from the Rogers Place crowd.

When the Ducks did get a golden opportunity, Cam Talbot was there with a big save. Corey Perry got the puck in the slot and fired a shot on Talbot from close range. The goaltender flashed the glove and robbed the Ducks forward.

The netminder didn't get much work, as the Oilers limited the Ducks to just 18 shots compared to their 37, but he made a few of those big stops. With his 40th victory of the season, Talbot tied Grant Fuhr for the Oilers record in a season.

"Any time your name is anywhere near Grant Fuhr's name it's pretty special," said Talbot. "To be on that list is a pretty big achievement. It just goes to show the kind of team we have in this room this year and how we've come together and how hard we've played. What else can you say about the guys in front of me tonight? They did a hell of a job coming back there and big win in overtime there."

Gibson had a big glove save of his own with 1:57 left on the clock in the first. Lucic set up Jordan Eberle on a 2-on-1 but the Oilers winger saw his shot stopped by the quick hand of the Ducks goalie.

The scoring drought finally broke with 49 ticks left in the first. It was - guess who - the Oilers top line who lit the lamp. Maroon made a nice move to keep the puck away from a Ducks defender then twirled around the net. Maroon centred a pass for McDavid and the captain sniped it for his 29th goal of the season. McDavid stretched his career high point streak to 10 games, and the period ended with "M-V-P" chants echoing down from the crowd.

The Oilers outshot Anaheim 14-4 in the first.

The Ducks got even with the Oilers six seconds into a power play at 3:27 of the second period. Ryan Getzlaf's slap shot found twine behind Talbot to make it a 1-1 game.

The Oilers fourth line nearly got the lead back with less than five minutes to go in the second. Drake Caggiula couldn't quite get to a puck at the side of the net and Matt Hendricks hacked away at a loose rebound but couldn't get the puck luck on his side.

Edmonton got a late second-period gift in the form of a power play with 1:26 to go. Patrick Eaves knocked the net off and was called for delaying the game, giving the Oil a man advantage. However, the Oilers failed to convert and the second period ended in a 1-1 tie, with the orange and blue outshooting the Ducks 24-14.

Eaves would be the one to give the Ducks their first lead of the night, scoring his 29th goal of the season. Antoine Vermette was left alone in the slot and he passed it down low to Eaves, who potted the puck at the post to give Anaheim a 2-1 lead at 8:53 of the third.

With 9:02 to go, the Oilers had a mad scramble in the Ducks crease but couldn't put the puck past the line. The scramble resulted in some rough stuff in front of the net, that was eventually broken up by the officials.

With 7:34 to go, Talbot made another huge save, stopping Perry on a breakaway. Talbot's save gave Edmonton a chance to tie the game late.

The Oilers got the break they needed late when Vermette took a hooking penalty with 2:45 left to play to give the Oilers another power play. On the man advantage, Lucic netted the equalizer with 1:58 left on the clock. McDavid set up Draisaitl for a one-timer and Lucic easily deposited the rebound past Gibson on the doorstep to make it 2-2.

"I think there was more of a shooter's mentality on that last power play," said Lucic. "Very fortunate for the puck to be laying there in the right spot at the right time and it ends up being a big tying goal."

In overtime, McDavid connected with Draisaitl for the game-winner on yet another 2-on-1 rush for the duo. The goal was Draisaitl's 28th of the year.

"I just saw Connor take off and it's pretty hard to keep up, let me tell you," said Draisaitl. "I just got on my horse and tried to catch up and get open for a shot."

Edmonton (44-25-9) now sits at the top of the Pacific Division standings with 97 points. The Oilers now hit the road for three games, beginning against the Kings in Los Angeles on Tuesday.

View More