Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

Canucks hold on to beat Oilers

by Staff Writer / Edmonton Oilers
Daniel Sedin took a holding penalty in the opening 1:24, putting Edmonton on an early power play. Canucks starting netminder Roberto Luongo made a nice stop on Jarret Stoll on Edmonton's best chance during the man advantage.

Just as an Oilers penalty expired later in the first, Henrik Sedin set up Canucks blueliner Sami Salo at the right point. Salo's shot was gloved down by Roloson as he made a nice save to keep the game scoreless.

Edmonton almost scored with seven minutes left in the period and both teams with four skaters. Ryan Smyth attempted a wraparound and the puck snuck off his stick to Steve Staios, stationed to the left side of Luongo but Staios missed the open net.

Going back the other way, Daniel and Henrik Sedin almost netted the game's first goal. Henrik found Daniel at the top of the crease but Roloson got his pad against the left post to deny the goal.

Seconds later, Henrik found Kevin Bieksa in the high slot. Bieksa knocked the puck down and rifled it off the right post. The rebound went straight to Daniel Sedin but his shot was snagged out of mid-air by Roloson.

After one period, Vancouver had a 17-7 edge in shots over the Oilers.

Raffi Torres struck for his first of the season just past the two-minute mark in period two. Sykora shovelled the puck to Marc-Andre Bergeron who shot it along the ice at Luongo. The rebound came out to Torres in the slot and he made no mistake, firing it in.

Lupul almost doubled the Oilers' lead three minutes later when he took the puck off the side boards to the front of the net and tried to shovel it in but Luongo made a nice stop.

Taylor Pyatt struck for his second of the season to tie the game at 1-1. Kevin Bieksa fired a shot from the right point and Pyatt swooped in and blasted the rebound behind Roloson.

Just past the midway point of period two, Pisani tried to split the Vancouver defence on a rush. Lukas Krajicek upended the Oilers forward, putting Edmonton up a man for two minutes. The Oilers cycled the puck well on the ensuing power play but couldn't generate a quality scoring chance.

With a minute left in the second, Sami Salo scored to put Vancouver in front 2-1. Salo took the puck around the net and carried it to the left faceoff circle. His shot then found an opening and beat a screened Roloson.

Shots after two periods were 29-13 for Vancouver.

Brad Winchester had a chance to tie it in the third after backhanding a centering pass in the slot on Luongo but the Canucks netminder was equal to the task.

Most of the third period involved a lot of end-to-end action between the teams. Coach Craig MacTavish started shuffling up the lines and the Oilers were getting a lot of pressure deep in Vancouver's zone but they still had problems getting the puck on net.

A line of Patrick Thoresen, Ryan Smyth and Joffrey Lupul took control of the puck in the Vancouver zone for a good minute but still couldn't hit the net.

The Oilers attempted a late surge to tie the game but could not convert their chances in the final minute.
View More