Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

Blue edges White 5-3

by Ryan Dittrick / Edmonton Oilers
Team Blue's Olivier Roy & David Musil look on as Team White's Ryan Smyth crashes the net during second period action at Rexall Place. Blue edged White with a 5-3 victory to win the Joey Moss Cup (Photo by Andy Devlin / Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club).


Ryan Keller, Lennart Petrell and Antti Tyrvainen each scored in the third period, pushing Team Blue to a well-earned 5-3 victory over Team White at Sunday's Joey Moss Cup.

Blue's Olivier Roy and David LeNeveu combined to stop 18 shots, while White's Yann Danis and Tyler Bunz turned aside 24.


Less than four minutes into today's contest, Team White got on the board when Ryan Martindale passed to a streaking Jeff Petry in the slot. The 23-year-old wasted no time, snapping a wrister by David LeNeveu to put his squad up 1-0.

Team Blue looked to respond, peppering Yann Danis with several high-quality chances moments later. At 15:42, Blue equalled the score when Magnus Paajarvi's behind-the-net centering pass was pushed in by White's Ryan Lowery.

54 seconds later, Blue's late-period push put them in the lead. Danis was unable to corral a point shot and, with help from Gilbert Brule, the rebound try was hammered home by Philippe Cornet.

With 45 seconds to play in the period, White's Jordan Eberle scooped a Blue turnover, sending him in alone on a breakaway. His backhand effort beat LeNeveu, but the puck rang off the crossbar.

As time expired, Blue continued to lead 2-1, but White carried an 8-7 edge in shots.


White pulled even at 12:08 when Teemu Hartikainen went inside-out on Blue rearguard Martin Gernat, potting the puck upstairs on LeNeveu on his team's 12th attempt.

With under 10 minutes to play in the period, Olivier Roy replaced LeNeveu between the pipes, and White's Danis was replaced with Tyler Bunz.

Moments later, White was put on the power-play when Kirill Tulupov hauled down Taylor Hall on what appeared to be a promising rush. White was unable to generate much and the two-minute opportunity passed without incident.

With 40 minutes expired, the teams remained in a 2-2 score, while White advanced to a 16-14 shot advantage.


1:04 into the period, White was put on the power-play once more, as Darcy Hordichuk pulled down Hall on another high-speed rush. Much like their earlier opportunity, White was unable to cash.

Blue regained the lead at 7:50 when Ryan Keller evaded the check of Chris VandeVelde, picking up the loose puck and popping it over Bunz at the goal-mouth.

At the other end, Roy was putting on a show. A creative three-way passing play orchestrated by White's Eberle was bluntly turned away with a quick pad save.

Roy couldn't stop them all, however. Moments later, White's Tanner House came speeding down the wing, snapping a shot glove-side to pull his team even once more at 13:25.

Just as quickly, Blue pulled ahead 4-3. Lennart Petrell picked up a pass from Ryan O'Marra, cocked his weapon and released a bullet blocker-side on Bunz.

With under two minutes to play in the period, down 4-3, White was given a power-play chance when O'Marra was charged for tripping. Bunz was also pulled, establishing a two-man, late-period advantage. Chances came, but Roy stepped up to preserve his team's lead.

Antti Tyrvainen scored into the empty cage, sealing a 5-3 score with 13.2 seconds to play.

Follow me on Twitter | @ryandittrick

View More