Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

Blue colours White 3-0

by Jen Sharpe / Edmonton Oilers
Team Blue poses with Joey Moss after winning the Joey Moss Cup with a 3-0 victory over Team White Tuesday, September 21, 2010 at Rexall Place. (Photo by Andy Devlin / Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club)


The game started slowly for both squads, but in the third period, Team Blue connected. After setting up defenceman Kurtis Foster for the opening goal, Blue's top line of Ales Hemsky, Shawn Horcoff & Taylor Hall teamed up for two more goals to seal a 3-0 Joey Moss Cup Victory.


Two minutes into the game, Team Blue's Brad Moran and Cameron Abney embarked on a two-on-one, but the rush was unsuccessful.

Three minutes later, Blue came inches away from taking the first lead of the game, but Colin McDonald's shot rang off Martin Gerber's left post.

With 1:31 left in the short 15-minute period, White benefited from the game's first powerplay when Ales Hemsky was called for slashing. But because of the quick game, the winger served only one minute before rejoining the play.

After a scoreless first period, Blue held a slim 7-6 shot lead.


Blue added a few more shots on Gerber early in the second, but the White goalie turned them all away.

With nine minutes left in the middle frame, Liam Reddox danced in on the White net but couldn't complete his fancy play.

After Gerber made 12 saves and Devan Dubnyk notched six, the coaches opted to swap netminders. Olivier Roy went in for White, and Jeff Deslauriers slid between the pipes for Blue.

Deslauriers faced his first big test when Linus Omark powered up the middle, but the goalie came up with two big pad stops to maintain the scoreless game.

At the tail end of the frame, White's Ryan O'Marra took a cross-checking penalty to give Blue the edge. Penalty killers outlasted the clock and would start the third down a man.


With mere seconds remaining in O'Marra's penalty, Blue struck. On a set-up from Hemsky and Taylor Hall, Kurtis Foster one-timed the puck past Deslauriers to give his squad a 1-0 lead.

Foster returned to the game sheet, but not in a good way, when he was called for roughing at 4:07, but White couldn't convert into a tying goal.

With the squad back at even strength, Shawn Horcoff burst in on a breakaway and effortlessly slipped the puck five-hole to make it 2-0 Blue.

Although White countered with a few key scoring chances, Blue continued to dominate on the scoreboard. After progressing through the neutral zone and flying past defenders, Hemsky, Horcoff, and Hall teamed up for a third goal.

With Hall at his side until the last second, Horcoff tapped the puck over to the first-overall pick, who flipped it past Roy to seal a 3-0 win and prized Joey Moss Cup trophy for Team Blue.
View More