Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

Barons hold on to shut out Bulldogs 2-0

by Marc Ciampa / Edmonton Oilers
Oklahoma City Barons forward Hunter Tremblay skates up ice with Hamilton's Nigel Dawes. (Photo by Steve Christy Photography)


  1. Martin Gerber, OKC
  2. Alexandre Giroux, OKC
  3. Drew MacIntyre, HAM
  • With the win, the Oklahoma City Barons now trail the best-of-seven North Division Semi-Final two games to one.
  • The Barons and Bulldogs continue their best-of-seven series with Game 4 in Oklahoma City tomorrow night (Wednesday). The game starts at 6:05 p.m. MDT. CLICK HERE TO LISTEN LIVE
The Oklahoma City Barons once again ran into a hot goaltender, oushooting the Hamilton Bulldogs 46 to 26, but the Barons had a hot goalie of their own as Martin Gerber helped shut out the Hamilton Bulldogs 2-0 to narrow the gap in their best-of-seven series to 2-1.

The game was scoreless through the first two periods before Colin McDonald and Alex Giroux scored in the final frame for the victory.


Oklahoma City got off to a quick start, forechecking hard, deep in the Bulldogs zone.

Their hard work paid off as the line of O'Marra, Stewart and Stortini kept the puck pinned deep and caused Alex Henry to take a holding penalty.

On the ensuing man advantage, the Barons had three shots on goal but could not get one past Hamlton netminder Drew MacIntyre.

Chris VandeVelde took a hooking penalty just past the midway point of the opening period to put Hamilton on the power play for the first time on the evening.

Colten Teubert absolutely crunched Aaron Palushaj into the boards with 6 minutes to play in the opening frame. Palushaj had to be helped off the ice after being shaken up pretty badly.

The Barons came close to the game's first goal with a couple more power play opportunities as the period progressed. Shots on goal 18 minutes in were 12 to 4 for Oklahoma City.

Hamilton got some life late in the period thanks to a Zack Stortini penalty with 1:30 to play but after 20 minutes, the game was scoreless.

Shots on goal after one were 15 to 5 for Oklahoma City.


Alexandre Giroux nearly opened the scoring early in the period when he broke in alone on Bulldogs netminder Drew MacIntyre but he lost control of the puck during his deke attempt.

A Jake Taylor penalty put Hamilton back up a man but the Barons were able to kill off another power play. Right after the penalty expired, Hamilton nearly made it 1-0 during a mad scramble in front of the net. Martin Gerber somehow managed to keep the puck out as bodies were flying all over the place in the crease.

A penalty parade through most of the second period led to a lot of four-on-four situations as well as man advantages for both teams but neither side was able to find the twine.

Shots on goal after 40 minutes were 26 to 16 for the Barons as both teams had 11 shots in the middle frame. However, the game remained a scoreless draw.


A Bulldogs cross-checking penalty to Alex Henry during a goalmouth scramble early in the third period put Oklahoma City on their sixth power play of the night. That man advantage was negated 53 seconds in as Colin McDonald took a cross-checking penalty in the neutral zone. 

Just as that penalty expired, Colin McDonald sprung out of the box and down ice. Brad Moran skated into the zone and fired a wrister from the high slot. MacIntyre made the initial save but McDonald was perched on the doorstep for the rebound to give Oklahoma City a 1-0 lead with 11 minutes to play in the third.

Linus Omark nearly doubled the Barons' lead with about eight minutes to go as he carried the puck straight to the net and tried to deke around MacIntyre. However, the Bulldogs netminder kicked it out.

Moments later, Teemu Hartikainen had the puck alone in the slot and attempted to shovel it past MacIntyre but again the Hamilton goaltender came up big.

Coming back the other way, the Bulldogs took advantage of a loose puck in the slot and nearly slipped it by Gerber but the OKC goalie pounced on it for the whistle.

Late in the third, Colten Teubert left the game following a shoulder injury.

With 4:01 to play, Alex Giroux battled past Mathieu Carle to break in all alone. He pinpointed a shot from the left circle past MacIntyre to extend Oklahoma City's lead to 2-0.

The game's final shot count was 46 to 26 in favour of Oklahoma City - including an impressive 20 to 10 in the third period.

NOTES: The win was the first postseason victory in Oklahoma City Barons franchise history, coming in the team's first-ever home game. ... Defenceman Colten Teubert left late in the third period with what appeared to be a shoulder injury. Coach Todd Nelson said after the game that he was still being evaluated.
View More