Skip to main content

Winterhawks score 3 goals in 95 seconds to rally for 4-3 win against Giants @NHLdotcom

LANGLEY, B.C. - The Portland Winterhawks rallied for three goals in 95 seconds to defeat the Vancouver Giants 4-3 Sunday night in Western Hockey League action.

Trailing 2-1 in the third period, Portland (32-20-2) got goals from Spencer Bennett, Ryan Johansen and Ty Rattie 47 and 48 seconds apart respectably while Nino Niederreiter also scored.

Craig Cunningham, Milan Kytnar and Brendan Gallagher scored for Vancouver (31-20-3), playing a home game in Langley while the Pacific Coliseum is used during the Olympics.

Portland goaltender Mac Carruth made 36 saves for the win. It was Carruth's third straight start over the weekend for the 'Hawks.

Vancouver's Mark Segal made 40 saves in the loss.

J.T. Barnett helped the Giants get off to a 1-0 lead early in the game. After chasing down his own rebound into the corner he threw the puck towards the front of the net where WHL leading scorer Cunningham converted the pass for his 31st of the year.

On the power play the Giants doubled their lead. Neil Manning threw the puck towards the net and Kytnar was able to knock the loose rubber past Carruth to make it 2-0 less than six minutes into the game.

Vancouver pressed hard to increase their lead in the second period. James Henry hit the goal post during a short-handed two-on-one rush. Moments later Kevin Connauton came out of the penalty box, made a great move on the defenceman, but was robbed by Carruth, keeping the Winterhawks within one.

Johansen cut the lead to one after making a great cross-crease pass to Niederreiter who put the puck past Segal for his team-leading 27th of the season.

In the third period, Portland continued to press. After Vancouver took a too-many-men penalty, the Winterhawks received a two-man advantage and made good on it. Bennett took a pass from Chris Francis and buried it, tying the game at two.

Johansen gave Portland their first lead of the game not long after. Following a Giants' scoring chance off a face-off the puck went the other way and the Winterhawks converted their third goal of the game.

Rattie added one more 48 seconds later for Portland's final goal.

Just when it seemed the Giants were falling out of the game, 25 seconds later they cut the deficit to one. After a time-out, Vancouver cycled the puck around the top of the offensive zone until finding Gallagher down low for his 31st of the season.

View More

The NHL uses cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. By using NHL websites or other online services, you consent to the practices described in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy.