Skip to main content

Storm spoil Attack's championship banner celebration with 5-3 victory @NHL

OWEN SOUND, Ont. - Ryan Horvat scored the winning goal as the Guelph Storm beat Owen Sound 5-3 Saturday, spoiling the Attack's raising of its 2011 Ontario Hockey League championship banner to the rafters of the Bayshore Community Centre.

It's the second time this season the Attack have suffered defeat after a banner-raising ceremony. Last Saturday, the Saginaw Spirit won 5-2 in Owen Sound after the Attack raised their MidWest Division and Western Conference championship banners.

Horvat, Patrick Watling and Tanner Richard each had a goal and an assist for Guelph (3-2-0), while Jarrod Maidens, the overtime hero of last year's Game 7 OHL Final win, replied twice for the Attack (3-3-0).

Scott Kosmachuk and Zack Mitchell also scored for the Storm, while defenceman Matt Petgrave, who now leads all Attack players with eight points this season, added a goal.

Storm goaltender Garret Sparks turned aside 34 of 37 shots in the win, while Jordan Binnington allowed five goals on 22 shots, before being relieved by rookie backup J.P. Cesario at the start of the third period. Binnington was starting his third game in as many nights.

Centre Francis Menard made a nifty behind the net backhand pass to winger Mitchell who one-timed it past Binnington at 5:09 of the first period.

Petgrave scored in his second goal of the season past a bowled over Sparks at 14:16 of the first period. Attack rookie Artur Gavrus and captain Mike Halmo collected the assists.

The Attack went ahead 2-1 when Maidens rifled a Daniel Catenacci feed in the slot past Sparks with 2:40 to play in the opening period.

Richard tied the game 2-2 for the Storm 48 seconds into the second period, before Maidens regained the lead for the Attack only 18 seconds later by rifling a shot from the high slot. Rookie defenceman Chris Bigras picked up his second assist of the season on the play.

Still in the second period, Guelph's Kosmachuk redirected a Richard slap pass while buzzing past the Attack net at 8:03 to tie the game 3-3. Horvat was also credited with an assist.

Horvat then scored his third goal of the season with 59.2 seconds remaining in the second period to put the Storm ahead 4-3.

And the visitors were not done there.

Watling buried his first OHL goal unassisted with 25 seconds to play in the second period to give the Storm a 5-3 lead after 40 minutes.

The Attack next travel to Erie to open a back-to-back set against the Otters on Oct. 7, while the Storm entertain the Brampton Battalion.

View More