Skip to main content
NHL Insider

Seguin 'disappointed' to not have long-term contract signed with Stars

Center who scored NHL career-high 40 goals in 2017-18 can be UFA after season

by Dave McCarthy / NHL.com Correspondent

TORONTO -- Tyler Seguin said he is surprised he hasn't signed a long-term contract with the Dallas Stars.

"I'm disappointed it hasn't happened, but there hasn't been negotiations, it's just been training this summer, getting ready for this year," Seguin said at BioSteel Camp in Toronto on Tuesday. "I've still got this last year in Dallas, Dallas is home. I'm looking forward to having a good year and definitely want to win.

"Nothing's really going on. Pretty much haven't been talking much this summer."

 

[RELATED: Inside look at Dallas StarsThree questions facing Dallas Stars]

 

The 26-year-old center is entering the final season of a six-year, $34.5 million contract he signed with the Boston Bruins on Sept. 11, 2012, and can become an unrestricted free agent July 1, 2019. He became eligible to sign an extension with the Stars on July 1.

Seguin said he talked with the Stars around the 2018 NHL Draft in June, but there has not been any discussion toward a new contract since. He anticipated being signed to a long-term contract at this point, and playing out the final season on his current contract as a pending unrestricted free agent is not something he has spent much time thinking about.

Video: Seguin still waiting for long-term deal from Stars

"I wasn't really expecting this so I've kind of just been doing normal training, a normal summer, same as last year and the year before," Seguin said. "It's been a good summer for me training-wise and it's been a good camp so far."

Selected by Boston with the No. 2 pick in the 2010 NHL Draft, Seguin was traded to Dallas on July 4, 2013. He has 384 points (173 goals, 211 assists) in 387 games in the past five seasons and is tied for second in goals with Sidney Crosby during that span. Alex Ovechkin is first with 236.

Seguin could be in line for a contract similar to the seven-year, $77 million contract John Tavares signed with the Toronto Maple Leafs on July 1. Seguin said he followed what went on with Tavares, who has 13 fewer goals than Seguin over the past five seasons, but isn't sure how his own situation will play out.

Video: Newkirk on Seguin, Stars not reaching an extension

"I'm not really there yet," Seguin said. "I've been disappointed that it hasn't happened, the expectations were that it would be earlier in the summer, and there hasn't been much talk. But I'm back to work, I still have one year left, and that's been my focus."

Seguin, who had an NHL career-high 40 goals last season, said his only focus is on helping the Stars return to the Stanley Cup Playoffs after missing them the past two seasons.

"It's been a long few summers of no deep runs," Seguin said. "The goal since I touched down in Dallas was to get deep in the playoffs and hopefully win so that's my focus. Dallas has been home. I've been comfortable in Dallas since I got down there. At the end of the day I want to win, I want to be successful and I want to get back in the playoffs. I think we have the right group to do it this year."

Video: Tyler Seguin lands at No. 9 on the list

View More

The NHL uses cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. By using NHL websites or other online services, you consent to the practices described in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy.