San Jose Sharks forward Raffi Torres will miss the start of the season because of a setback with his previously injured right knee, general manager Doug Wilson said Wednesday.
"We expect Raffi to return to the team during the 2014-15 season, but no official timeline for his return is being set at this time," Wilson said in a statement.
Left Wing - SJS
GOALS: 3 | ASST: 2 | PTS: 5
SOG: 9 | +/-: 4
Torres could miss a significant amount of time, possibly as much as half of the regular season, Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area reported.
Torres missed all but five games of last regular season because of the original injury, which occurred in a collision during a preseason game on Sept. 20. He returned Feb. 27 and then appeared in the Sharks' seven Stanley Cup Playoff games.
An infection in the knee caused the need for another operation, which involved removing the graft implanted in his repaired knee. Wilson said Torres has started rehabilitation but will need to again have the ACL damage repaired.
"When he came back, he had an infection that kind of went back and forth," Wilson said, according to the San Jose Mercury News. "They treated it for six weeks to have it go away. They thought it was gone, then it came back, so they decided we're going to make sure it's 100 percent."
Torres had three goals and five points last season, and two goals and an assist in the seven-game Western Conference First Round loss to the Los Angeles Kings.