OTTAWA –The Ottawa Senators organization is able to pass along the following information regarding efforts to identify a suitable live liver donor for Senators owner Eugene Melnyk:
- The response has been overwhelming, with more than 2,000 calls and emails received and numerous applications sent to the Donor Transplant Team in Toronto since Thursday afternoon.
- The fax line to the Donor Assessment Office is sometimes busy due to volume so we continue to ask potential donors to keep trying the fax line over the weekend to submit their completed forms.
- The Senators organization also wishes to remind the public that Mr. Melnyk can receive a live liver transplant from any blood-type donor. This circumstance is not always the case for live liver transplantation, but Mr. Melnyk’s rare AB blood type allows him to accept ANY blood type donor.
- The response by the Ottawa community, hockey community and the entire country has been unbelievable, with calls being received from across North America, the United States and as far away as Europe.
- The Donor Transplant Team will be reviewing and screening the applications throughout the weekend.
- Any interested individuals can continue to submit their completed donor forms over the coming days by faxing them to Toronto General Hospital’s Donor Assessment Office at 416-340-4317. The Donor Transplant Team is committed to thoroughly reviewing all applications that are received regardless of when they are received.
- The Senators phone line is not operational this weekend but interested parties can still go to www.ottawasenators.com for information and access the Donor Application Form.
- As more information becomes available throughout the weekend, the Senators organization will provide further updates.
- On behalf of Eugene and his family, a big Senators thank you to all of our supporters and fans.