Skip to main content

Senators edge Red Wings, keep pace for wild card

by Paul Harris /

DETROIT -- The Ottawa Senators kept pace in the race for the Stanley Cup Playoffs with a 2-1 shootout victory against the Detroit Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena on Tuesday.

Mark Stone, Mika Zibanejad and Kyle Turris scored in the tiebreaker for Ottawa (38-26-12), which is three points behind the Boston Bruins for the second wild card into the playoffs from the Eastern Conference and has one more game remaining.

"It's the biggest win of the year," Stone said. "Every game is the most important from here on out. ... With Boston winning (3-2 against the Florida Panthers), we needed the two points."

Ottawa forward Clarke MacArthur scored his 14th goal late in the third period to send the game to overtime, and Senators goalie Andrew Hammond made 16 saves through overtime before stopping two of four Red Wings shooters in the tiebreaker.

"It was a tough game to play because I didn't see much action," Hammond said. "When you see (Red Wings goalie Petr) Mrazek playing the way he is, you just have to keep making the next save."

Detroit forward Gustav Nyquist scored his 25th goal in the second period, and Mrazek made 33 saves through overtime.

"I think Pete Mrazek was the star. The penalty kill was real good. We found a way to get a point," Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. "It was a huge point for us. Give Pete a lot of credit; they were on top of us most of the night. I didn't think we had many opportunities."

Nyquist and Tomas Tatar scored in the shootout for Detroit (40-23-13), which is in third place in the Atlantic Division, two points ahead of Boston.

Red Wings forwards Pavel Datsyuk and Riley Sheahan were late scratches. Datsyuk played the past two games after missing the previous five because of a lower-body injury. Sheahan, who missed his third consecutive game, appeared ready to return to the lineup Tuesday after he participated in the morning skate.

Detroit was also without right wing Erik Cole because of an upper-body injury, and it lost forward Drew Miller when he was accidentally kicked in the face by Stone 1:10 into the game and sustained two deep lacerations around his right eye. Miller did not return.

"I think we had great intensity. We turned the puck over too much but they were quicker and faster and better," Babcock said. "We played three lines from the start and they played four just because we lost people."

Miller should be able to play Thursday against the Bruins, Babcock said.

MacArthur tied the game 1-1 with 4:02 left in the third period. His shot from the high slot area found its way past a crowd before going off a Red Wings player's skate and past Mrazek.

"We had so many chances in the first," MacArthur said. "You just shake your head. But those are great games to be in, because we are all battling."

The Senators had been continually thwarted by Mrazek before MacArthur's goal.

"One of those games where you're playing good the whole game but just can't get one in," Stone said. "It felt good to see Clarke trickle one in."

Said Ottawa captain Erik Karlsson: "Tonight, we played well from the start. We just couldn't score earlier in the game. ...I think the guys came out with great focus from the start,"

The Senators outshot the Red Wings 25-9 through the first two periods, but Detroit scored the only goal.

Nyquist opened the scoring 5:43 into the second period on the Red Wings' sixth shot on goal. After taking a drop pass from Justin Abdelkader on the rush, Nyquist's wrist shot from the top of the right circle beat Hammond high on the long side.

"We fell behind and we just stayed the course," Ottawa coach Dave Cameron said.

Mrazek stopped Senators forward Mike Hoffman on a breakaway with about 9:40 remaining in the first period, and Stone sent a backhand wide of the Red Wings net on a breakaway with about nine minutes left.

"I felt great out there. It was a huge one point for us," Mrazek said. "It was a good game for us, but we wanted two points. It's a big disappointment."

View More